26 - I'll Come Back for You

I've always had darkness inside me.

I don't know how to describe it - but I could always feel it, growing like a tumor in the pit of my stomach and stamped on my heart like the marking of the Devil.

Or in my case, the marking of Night.

It controlled my thoughts and persuaded my actions. It whispered in my ear, telling me to do terrible and unspeakable things. And I did them. The darkness was strong and I was weak. It overpowered my cries of mercy and forced me to bow down on my knees.

I brought gifts of dead bodies and tormented faces.

Not enough! It would scream. More pain. More misery!

Nothing was ever enough to calm the parasite that was given to me at my birth.

It took away everything I ever loved and prevented me from exploring my true self and the world around me.

I was the shadow that lurked in hidden corners.

And I was the darkness that ruled the darkness.

And I was the Night that never saw night.

Until now.

The tumor in my gut and the stamp on my heart are only reminders. The voice in my head is gone and I'm not being controlled by an all powerful force and I am not weak...

I can see the stars.

The ground beneath me is cold, and I mumble a song I can't remember the name of, while staring at Nico's limp body. He hasn't moved and I'm not sure how many hours has gone by since he was awake.

I nudge his hand with my own for the millionth time. He doesn't react.

If Nico is truly dead, I don't know what I would do. He helped me release the chains that once bounded me. Even though our quest to Ananke didn't work out, he still stood by my side. Even after I left him without explaining why, he still cared.

Will he still stick with me when wakes up and remembers I killed innocent, curious, kids who just wanted to witness a daughter of Nyx in action?

I shut my eyes tight. The blood is still coated on my skin. It's dried and is now glued to my body like cement.

No one has came looking for us. They may not care about me, but I know at least Percy cares for Nico. He would send out a search party. I wonder why they haven't found us yet.

I tried picking up Nico by myself, but without Night's strength, I found myself struggle to lift him halfway up the ground. I could barely drag him a few feet without getting out of breath.

It occurred to me I could just leave. Run off before the others found us, escape consequences and once again try to cover my past.

But I can't leave him. I would never leave him. Dead or alive, I will stay by his side until somebody finds us.

I look at the constellations and go back to counting the stars.

It's not until I finally begin to doze off when I hear him.

He lets out a low, barely audible groan, a sound I would have missed if it wouldn't have been so quite outside. My once tired eyes are full awake. My hand comes out and touches his softly.

"Nico?" I whisper, my voice full of urgency.

He doesn't make another noise and I start thinking I might have imagined the sound. My fingers begin brushing the bruise that covers his right eye, which looks strikingly vibrant against his snow white skin, when his hand reaches up and touches mine.