10- The Last Day Alive

"He's looking," Rose sings, grabbing my arm. "Wait! Don't look now! Don't make it noticeable! Okay, look! Hurry!"

I take a quick glance behind me, searching for the boy who is at the table behind us. David Gray sits surrounded by his friends, biting into a red apple. He's laughing at something a blonde boy said. Then his eyes meet mine.

I quickly turn back around with a gasp. "He saw me!"

"Oh the things I would do to be that apple..." Rose says in a dream, ignoring me.

I can't help my cheeks from reddening. Rose, red headed, freckled covered, skinny Rose, has been in three relationships this year alone. And although we attend a church school for troubled kids, she's already made out with half of the boys basketball team.

As for me? I haven't even had my first kiss yet.

"Hey," A deep voice says from behind me, making me jump. I turn to see David, his black hair perfectly neat and a crooked smile on his lips. "Mackenzie, right?"

"Y-yeah,"

"Well, just so you know, my friend is having a party tonight," He pauses shortly and hangs his thumbs in the pockets of his jeans. "I was wondering if you want to come? Your friend here can totally come too."

"Umm- I- Ya- Na-"

"We would love to come!" Rose interrupts, leaning forward on her elbows. She puts on her signature smile. "Where's it at?"

"Valentine lake," David replies. "Come find me when you get there, Mackenzie." He waves bye and walks across the street to the student parking lot where he gets in a car with his friends.

I'm going to a party. David asked me to a party. David asked me to a party!

Rose squeals and clutches my arm. "Who would've though David Gray would speak to you even after you bashed that girls head into the lockers!"

Reality hits me.

I stand abruptly, knocking the stool I had been sitting on to the floor. My lips are in a tight line.

"Where are you going?' Rose asks, jogging to catch up with me down the street. "Hello? Mackenzie!"

"I can't go," I say, trying not to show my anger. I clutch my books closer to my chest.

"Seriously? I'm sure the party is inside, you don't have to worry about the dark."

A sigh escapes my lips. Rose doesn't know my secret. I told her I was afraid of the dark, that's why I can never go outside during the nighttime. Lame excuse, but Rose is gullible.

I normally like to keep my distance from people, but on the first day of freshman year, Rose sat next to me in math class and we bonded over our hate for people. She even laughs when I lose my temper. Like yesterday when I almost fractured a girls skull.

I was so close to getting expelled but our principle allowed me to get out of it because she has a thing for my father.

Girls and guys both were already afraid of me before and after the head bashing. I'm known as the Bipolar Girl. David Gray was the first to speak to me today besides Rose and of course I can't go unless I want everyone there dead.

"It's not about the dark, my dad would never let me go."

Rose grabs my arm, spinning me around. She eyes me carefully, leaning her head slightly to the side, and points to my cheek which is covered in a fading bruise. She's guessed before that my father is abusive, and she's right, though I'd never admit it. "What happened to your face?"