Chapter 27 - What date is it?

Start from the beginning

Nigel:

He stared at his plate but didn't answer. The fact he cared about him said nothing about whether he killed him or not. He'd cared about his mother too, after all, and look where that got her.

"..for as far as you can count it as suicide, when you're convinced you will be back."

He looked up at her as she reacted the way he probably should have expected her to but didn't.

"You don't believe me," he concluded quietly. His expression hardened slightly and he tried to hold her eyes by staring at her straightly.

"I'm not crazy. .. I just didn't tell you because the last time I told anyone I was declared clinically insane."

Alex:

Grace her hands slowly went up as she shook her head. Her fingers pressed against her cheeks as a deep frown appeared on her forehead. So Alex had committed suicide, but you couldn't call it suicide since he was convinced he would come back? Well that sounded fair enough. Her mouth lightly fell open and she turned around again - pointing her back at him.

Nevertheless she turned back as soon as she heard him mumbling something and she inhaled deeply - wanting to answer his conclusion but didn't. She pursed her lips as she stared him straight in the eyes, since he was trying to pin his eyes upon hers, and slowly she walked back to her seat again - but not sitting down on it. Not yet.

'I'm not saying that you are, am I?'

Her voice became much sharper and she leaned over the table now, placing her hands next to his so she had something to lean on. She clenched her teeth and grabbed his chin now - pointing it up as she stared down at him. She inhaled deeply and shook her head again.

'I'm just shocked- I don't know what to think...'

Her grip weakened, and instead of holding his chin now her fingers followed the contours of his jaw,

'What am I-' she laughed softly now. 'Crazy insane?'

Nigel:

"You didn't have to.." he mumbled, looking back down at his plate. Clearly he was convinced she thought he was crazy and that she only wanted to spare his feelings.

He tried to look away a little longer but when she lifted his chin this was almost impossible without looking ridiculous so he turned his eyes to look at hers.

"It doesn't matter, Grace.. Its fine. I know you won't lock me up like they did."

He frowned at her last question, not sure what she was asking him.. eventually he decided to just react on it.

"They're the same thing..? But no, I don't think you're either of those."

Alex:

'It was meant as one wo-' She laughed again and rolled her eyes. 'Okay smartass, whatever.'

She pointed her eyes back at him and bit pensively down on her lower lip. 'And you don't have to worry-'

She slowly shook her head again and lowered her hand to lean above the table again. She stared down at their plates and sighed. 'Don't think you're crazy. I think you creative-' She gazed up and pursed her lips as she pulled back. 'But I don't know if I believe you yet-' She swallowed and wrapped her hands around the chair now. '-I honestly don't want to...'

She hit her eyes again and an haunting silence fell. She didn't broke it for a little while. She kept holding her eyes fixed on the table and just breathed softly, waiting for Nigel to say anything at first. Then she slowly turned around and walked away toward the next room. Her eyes fell on another door and she immediately walked toward it to investigate the room. She seemed to enter some sort of detached teahouse and she frowned as she saw a Christmas tree standing in the corner of it. Many thoughts ran through her head now about her past and her hand searched behind her for the doorframe so she could walk back to Nigel again without looking more around.