Chapter 23 - We are almost free

Nigel:

He pursed his lips when he felt her hand wrap around the knife in his pocket as well. It's not like he didn't trust her but he was still afraid that somehow she'd make known unintentionally to dr. Harmon that he had a knife. It was too late to conceal her from that now, though.

"I got it off the guard.." he whispered back, meaning the guard he killed before.

Nigel looked at the bowl and shrugged his shoulders. It wasn't really as disturbing as some of the things he kept at home, back when he still had a home.

"I guess," obviously not very interested. He kept the skull of his own mother after all.

The sound did disturb him, but more for the sake of Grace and himself. Still, his hand reached out and grabbed her wrist quite tightly when Grace tried to pull the knife out of his pocket and he looked intensely into her eyes. She was taking his last tool for defense from him. If dr. Harmon would walk in on them they'd be damned. He had to consider for a second, even as she asked him to trust her,- but then let go and stepped back, allowing her to have a try with the lock of the door.

Alex:

Grace hit her eyes and stared suspicious at her hand which was still in Nigel his pocket. She nodded lightly absent, and swallowed as she got this weak answer from him. "I guess" didn't sounded half like the answer she expected to get, but perhaps it was just because Nigel was nervous too? She had no idea, though, and blinked a few times as her fingertips pressed against the skin in his neck.

'Oh, yes...' she muttered as she looked up now - staring him in the eyes for a moment. She smiled weakly, and pursed her lips as she glanced away. 'About the guard you killed... I'm sorry for my reaction, when you tried to safe me. This all happened because of me. We could've been out there right now. We could've escaped if I didn't freaked out...' She swallowed again and clenched her jaws, creating this pensive stare. 'Anyway,' she muttered awkwardly. Her glance went back to Nigel's, and she pursed her lips as soon as their eyes met. 'I wanted to- thank you... for that. After all. I mean, it was maybe a little bit... creepy and messed up-' she tried to laugh softly now, just for a moment, 'But after all it was sweet.'

Grace froze for a moment as Nigel grabbed her wrist tightly, and kept her eyes pinned upon Nigel's - wide and straight. But then, as soon as he let go her hand, she dropped her glance and stared at the ground for a moment - her lips pursed and her fingers tightly wrapped around the knife. There was like almost no-change that this was about to work out, but she could at least try.

'Thank you,' she bearded with her lips, and she slowly walked up to the door after glancing once over het shoulder. As she almost reached it, she turned - as if something stopped her from trying out their final escape. If she would mess up, they would indeed be damned. She sighed deeply and slowly dropped her eyes again, biting on her lower lip now. She was nervous and afraid, but nevertheless she crouched down and stuck the knife in the lock from the door - trying to scull it open.

Nigel:

Nigel didn't react on the first half of what she told him, - when she thanked him. It was sweet, was it? Well how could he even possibly reply to that at all? The subject had changed to a level he couldn't elborate on. Things like that, love, sweetness, compliments, it had never been his kind of thing at all.

"Just be quick," he mumbled back, turning around to the door to look out for Dr. Harmon. It sounded like he was still pretty preoccupied, though. Nigel continued to kept guard just in case, untill he heard a click behind him and when he turned he saw Grace had managed to open the door.