Chapter 26 - Assume the worst

Start from the beginning

'Jesus Christ indeed,' she whispered breathlessly as she crouched too. She speedily thumbed her hand through her hair and started to shake her head as she grabbed one of Nigel his arms. 'I'm sorry, bad conscience it seems.' She tried to smile briefly, but couldn't do that for long since she realized there must've been something wrong with him.

'Is everything alright?'

She sat down in frond of him and slowly took both of his hands, rubbing her thumbs over his fingers as she looked at them. They trembled, like his entire body did. She clenched her teeth pensively.

'What the hell just happened?' She pressed her lips again and tried to smile like she'd done before. 'Bad dream?'

Nigel:

He took a deep breath and then dropped his hands from his face, forcing himself to calm down before it would get out of hand and he'd end up in some panick-state again.

"I'm fine, I'm sorry I scared you."

He wanted to leave it with that but she took his hand and he actually couldn't bring himself to move or deny her any answer.

"I dreamt they found us.. They put me in a chair and then..-"

He shivered and didn't need to explain what then. He had dreamt the exact thing they'd do if they found him. It would be the electric chair for sure. Or, IF they had mercy, at least another electroshock treatment.

"It was just so real. I could feel it."

Alex:

'I don't think so,' she whispered disagreeing when he muttered he was fine. He didn't looked like he was fine. Not at all to be exact. His hands were cold, but at soon as she put her hand on his forehead she realized his head was warm like hell. She clenched her jaws and inhaled deeply, nodding - as a sign of listening - as he described his dream. She slowly dropped her eyes down, and thought about the electric chair - a way of torturing she'd once known, luckily. She would've probably died if it had happened again.

She smiled briefly, taking the sheets and lightly placing them over his shoulders what made him look like some kind of sausage wrapped in bread (had fun with imagining that).

'That won't happen,' she muttered as she stroked down his hair - since it was sitting al spiky and somehow - apparently - highly annoyed her since she got forced by herself to fix it. Just as she wanted to get up to finally lit the fire, she froze - hearing what he said at last. She nodded quickly and frowned - searching for his eyes as she sat in legged.

'I know right. I had that yesterday. Only-' she stopped for a moment and bit on her lip, thoughtfully. 'It wasn't a dream...'

She kept quiet for a moment, and then tapped his shoulder.

'If you'll wait here, keeping yourself warm and comfy... I'll try to get us something to eat. Okay?'

She inhaled deeply and placed for once again her hand upon his.

'-'r you sure you're okay?'

Nigel:

He allowed her to wrap the sheet over his shoulders. In fact it was like he barely even noticed the action. He just stared in her eyes as she promised him it wouldn't happen.

"How do you know?"

He looked down the moment he asked it, realizing this wasn't the most positive way to look at it. He should remember they were free now. The worst of the escape was past them. Sure enough they could handle the rest.