Chapter 4 - Settling In

September 7th, 1997
(Dean's POV)

Kevin and I drove down to the college pretty early in the morning. When we went up to the dorm room, I was scared. This is all so new for me and I'm not used to staying anywhere but home. I'm so glad Kevin is going to this school. I don't know what I'd do without him. Hopefully we have some classes together as well.

As you can probably tell, I'm not a very independent person, so I can't do much on my own. Sometimes I have anxiety attacks, I cry, I hyperventilate, I have panic attacks.. The list goes on and on for my mental problems. But whatever the problems I have, I've been learning to deal with them better. But when I don't know how to deal with them, that's when I fall into a dark place. I have the cuts and scars on my arms/wrists to prove it. I try to cover those up though. Only my aunt, Ellen, and my friend, Kevin, know about my depression and my problem with cutting.

When my mom died, I was too young to remember it. But as I got older and started asking more questions about it and seeing how much it's been affecting my dad.. He started drinking and we moved all around so I've lost a lot of friends and well... I became depressed.

I should probably mention the fact that I got a scholarship to this school; A football scholarship. My dad was going to send me to some small cheap community college since he doesn't have the money for me to go to college. He only has enough to send one of his kids to college so I told him that the money should be for Sammy. But then one day my coach came up to me and told me that a scout would be coming to one of our games to watch me play.

It was nerve-wracking but after the game, a man who was probably his forties came up to me. He had grayish-black hair, a stubbly face, and a work suit on.

He shook my hand and said, "Congratulations, Dean Winchester."

Then he told me bout the scholarship to this school and that I'd have to continue playing football here. I couldn't say no. I accepted the offer right then and there, and it took some other paper work later on, but I'm here now.

Kevin actually got a scholarship too. Well, he got offered a few scholarships. Some to schools that are way better than this one. But he settled with this one.

Kevin has been my friend since day one that I started going to that high school we both just graduate at. I'm really lucky we get to go to this college together and share a room. If we didn't share a room I'd have to be with some stranger.. I don't do well with people I don't know.

~

"So this is it?" Kevin says as he sets his huge suitcase of clothes into his bed.

"Something wrong with it?" I ask. The room seemed fine to me. It's not big but it's not small either. There's two beds, a window, a closet, freshly painted walls, chested drawers, clean carpet, what's so wrong with it?

Kevin shrugged, "I guess I was expecting something better." He walked out to go down and grab some more stuff from the car, so I followed after him.

"I don't understand what's so wrong with it." I say, talking about the dorm room, as I pick up a box out of the cars trunk. "It's just a dorm room. Plus, it's not crappy and gross."

"I guess you're right," he picks up a box as well and we go back inside up to our room.

"I know it's not amazing," I set the box on the ground by my bed, then turn to look at him. "But it's not horrible. But that's usually the way dorm rooms are."