Chapter 25 - Close to a place called a home

Comenzar desde el principio

Her eyes dropped on the newspaper now and she slowly walked up to Nigel to get a proper look. She couldn't understand what Nigel was meaning with his word so she kept waiting for an answer.

Nigel:

He checked the date again. Perhaps he was just so tired that he read it wrong. But the numbers were still the same.. 2012. What year had it been when he last checked the date? .. As far as he could remember that way the say he killed Isabelle. He'd been sitting in her and her parent's blood for a long time. They kept a calendar in the kitchen. It was from 2003.

"I'm..-" he started, still staring baffled at the date. What was his age when he was reunited with Alex? It had been.. 4 years since he died, hadn't it? The further calculation wasn't hard to make

"I think I'm 30.. According to this paper I've been locked up for nine years."

He looked up at Grace then, as if he just realized he was talking to her and not just to himself. Immediately he handed Grace the paper and turned away. Getting back to business and keeping emotionless.

"You can use that for the fire, I'll go see if there's any clothes and food."

He disappeared to the bedroom to put on some decent clothes and perhaps look for something warmer for Grace as well.

Alex:

Grace scanned the newspaper and leaned at her arms. She realized she could barely keep her eyes fixed on the paper - since all the letters seem to dance blurry in front of her eyes - and she yawned with her hand in front of her mouth. Her head slowly fell against Nigel his shoulder and she listened to him as he stumbled on his words.

'You are-' she repeated questionable. As Nigel finally got clear about the things he wanted to say, a deep frown appeared on her face and she slowly pulled back her head. A soft laugh of mesmerize escaped her mouth and she slowly shook her head. 'What?' she muttered in disbelief. 'You're not- They told me you're eighteen Nigel.' Nevertheless she took the paper and let him walk away. Perhaps he was just exhausted? Or maybe a little bit insane? He'd probably forgot the time because of all.

She dropped her eyes on the paper again and she rocked on her feet as she gazed down at the chimney. She nodded once - not that there was anyone to see it - and she crouched in front of it, lighting the fire within half a minute. She'd always loved the smell of it. The smell of burning logs and the feeling of a warm chimney.

Though Grace desperately wanted to stay here, close to the fire so she could warm up a bit more, she had to sleep - since she was incredibly exhausted, still.

'Nigel?' she yelled hoarsely as she went up the stairs. 'Nigel? Where are you? Should we take a nap now?' She pursed her lips and stood still in the hall, waiting for an answer. Her eyes dropped on a mirror and she slowly walked toward it - her eyes fixed on her reflection. She hadn't look in a mirror for years - or at least, not with other clothes on then she always got in the institute. She flattened the cloth underneath her hands as she rubbed over her side and gazed at the detailed mirror frame afterwards. There was a broken piece, and she slowly took it to take a look at it from a closer view. She smiled briefly, looking at the flower-graved pattern, and then she saw something moving in her eye corner. A light frown appeared on her forehead, and she gazed up back to her reflection - thinking she'd seen something strange. Nevertheless, there wasn't...

She slowly straightened her back, moving her feet a bit since she felt weird still, and didn't dared to look herself back into the eyes for a few seconds. She saw her reflection moving, moving without herself doing that. She gazed up, staring at herself as she saw herself lifting up her hand with the broken piece, and roughly cut it along her throat. A large cut got visible, and the blood streamed out of it and Grace started to feel dizzy as the pain overtook her.