Chapter Fourteen: The Story of Us

Start from the beginning

"What?" I ask and exclaim at the same time, confused as to why he is now trying to converse with me after all his succeeded attempts at avoiding me.

"Why the hell are you telling everyone we're together." He exasperates in frustration, waving his arms around.

I jerk my head back at his utter accusation, "What? I - " I'm lost at words. What an absurd accusation! I place my hand on my chest, "Why would you even think that?" He opens his mouth to speak, but I cut him off, "No - you were the one who was goo goo eyes for me from day one!" I point out only realizing too late that that was just a little fantasy of mine. His eyebrows crinkle together in confusion and I stare wide eyed, "Uh - Why do you even care? Why are you so upset that they're saying all these ridiculous things. You and I both know it's not true." I exclaim in the same exasperated tone Liam was just in. This reunion is now getting to me. His face contorts into a straight, cold one and he leans in almost nose to nose and I unwillingly shrink down from intimidation.

"Because, I'm tired of hearing it. There was never an us. There will never be an us." His voice lowers in an icy tone with each word and I'm stuck still. He leans back and takes a deep breath. "Apparently no one can see that." He walks out and once again leaves me speechless.

Chelsea, it seems, as we step outside had hired servants, really? Now this is over doing everything. While everyone is sitting down, I lose Bella. Shit. I puff out my cheeks and look at the long dining table stretching out across the backyard. Sweet Jesus. Why? Seeing an empty seat next to Rita, I head on over until someone takes the seat and I stop. Shit. Then I see Malie, I go over to her and I'm about to take a seat across from her when one of the surfer guys places his hand on the seat.

"Sorry it's taken."

"Right..." I hear glass clinking and when I look up ahead, I see Chelsea standing at the end with a glass of champagne in her hand and a forced smile on her face.

"Gaby, are you having trouble finding your name on the table?" I quickly glance at the table seeing name cards placed on it and I feel like tying an anchor around me so I can sink to the bottom of the ocean. "To the other end, where Bella is." Chelsea says monotonously, with a hint of impatient in her voice.

"Right." I mutter as I turn on my heels and make my way to the other end and as I get closer I see Liam sitting at the end with an empty seat across from him. "Shit..." I breathe out. When I make a turn across the table, Bella and I lock eyes and she gives me a thoughtful smile. I just breathe in deeply trying to calm my emotions. I take a seat and quickly brush my eyes over to Liam to see him looking down at the table. Completely, and obviously avoiding me. There's glass clinging and we all look over to where Chelsea is.

"Thank you to everyone who is here, it's always nice to see everyone here. It brings many lovely memories. I know we have the swim and surf team from our year and to be honest, we are the best year the program has had," she causes everyone to laugh and agree, "anyways, Lahaina offered us the pool and ocean which gave us a second family -" she chokes on her words, "I'm sorry -" she wipes her eyes and fans her face.

"Oh, sweet Jesus." I mutter quietly so no one can hear and throw my head back and take a glimpse of the clear sky.

"Gaby." I hear Bella hiss, but there's a hint of laughter in her voice. I pull my head back up just in time to see Liam adjust his head to see Chelsea better wearing an almost faint smile on his face.

"Hopefully, we can carry this reunion for years to come, but for now, let's just enjoy the company of each other. Come what may in the future. Let's enjoy the summer freely. And a good luck to everyone graduating next year, may your future be bright." She raises her glass and I reach for my glass and then raise it in the air with everyone else. "Cheers."