Chapter Fourteen: The Story of Us

Start from the beginning

"Aw, you're too sweet." I wave my hand dismissively, and we catch up on what's been going on for the past few years like high school, college, friends and family - the usual small talk.

"Speaking of serious," I turn my attention to her and raise my eyebrows as I fold my hands behind my back. "When are you and Liam tying the big knot?"

"What." I exclaim loudly and she begins dying of laughter while I start stammering, "We - we we're not together. I - it's not like that!" Shit...!

Malie composes herself and her eyes widen, "Oh, you're serious!" I widen my eyes at her as to say "DUH" or "OBVIOUSLY," "You two still haven't proclaimed your unrequited love for each other?" my heart is racing and I feel my cheeks burning up.

"No...?" I nervously say. Is it getting hot in here?

"I just figured you two were together by the way you and Liam keep glancing at each other and I don't know...even though it wasn't official or anything you guys were like high school sweethearts."

I chuckle nervously and place my hand on her shoulder pushing her a little harder than I expected because she takes a step back, "Don't be silly."

"I'm not. I'll be waiting for a wedding invitation in a few years, okay? Just send it over to my parents in Texas."

"Right...I - I'm gonna run to the ladies room. I'll catch you later." I leave before she responds and as I try to get as far away as possible from that conversation, I find the kitchen. Thank the Lord! I step inside and see Rita eating an olive off a pick. I walk over and bump my side to hers, "Hey."

"Girl, where have you been?" she takes another olive, "I thought you died, I haven't seen you since Syd -" My eyes catch Bella across the room mingling with some of the girls on the surf team and I nudge my elbow into her side letting her know not to say a thing, "Right...anyways, I'm so glad you're here. This reunion isn't fun without you." She pouts and I roll my eyes.

"Ladies," I turn and face Chelsea with two glasses in her hands, "Champagne." She offers, eyeing me closely with her cold, light blue eyes.

"Fancy." I take the glass in my hand and take a small sip, with a small smirk growing on my face.

"Mahalo, baby girl." Rita says taking the glass and Chelsea smiles tightly at us before walking back to her guests. "There's your reason. I can't stand her."

I scoff and clink my glass to hers, "Cheers to that."

"By the way, you are all everyone is talking about. Liam and Gaby foreva...!" she laughs at her own sentence and I place my glass firmly on the table. Liam and I haven't been seen together since high school and now that we're in the same room together, completely avoiding each other, everyone thinks we're a freaking couple. Either Liam and I are just good at acting casual or everyone is just blind and lost in their little fantasy of us.

My lips have been pursed tightly for the past hour, as one by one each teammate tries to get Liam and I together, but every time I get close, Liam makes an excuse to get away. I on the other hand try to avoid getting near him and everyone.

"Lookin' hot as ever Gaby." I internally scream when I hear Kai just a few feet away from me. I turn my head with an uneasy smile when I see he's with Kaiko, Veronica, Malie, and...Liam. I'm just about to punch Kai in the face, or have Bella do it since she's stronger than me. They beckon me over and I'm trapped. We're trapped. Liam has no where to run. I awkwardly waddle over...beside Liam. Lord have mercy. The others resume their conversation and I nibble on my lip trying to keep my cool.

"Aw look who it is, my favorite love birds." Chelsea's innocent mocking voice reels me back. She standing before us with a forced grin on her face. Her overly white teeth shine from her light tanned face, and I wonder if she's had botox done to her cheeks. I force a chuckle and discreetly take a step away from Liam. I want to say something like it's not freaking like that you blind imbeciles, but I'm tongue tied. "Lunch is ready outside." She announces, sounding sickly sweet. Right at the sound of food, everyone briskly makes their way out back. I take a step forward when a hand wraps around my arm and I instantly melt with dread. He tugs me gently and I take a deep breath and turn on my heels to face him.