The Call

"Hello?" I answer my phone.

"Is this Kristen Weeks?" A high pitched voice asks me.

"Yes. May I ask who this is?" I question.

"Of course. This is Tiffany Shore. I work at Sage Co. and I'm calling to ask if you could come in for an interview for the position of Mr. Sage's executive assistant."

"Of course! Yes ma'am! When should I come in?" I inquire excitedly.

"Could you come in...Thursday at 9:30 A.M?" Tiffany asks.

"Yes ma'am. I'll be there at 9:30 sharp."

"That'll do. Thank you."

The dial tone concludes our conversation.

Looking at my phone that had dropped onto my pink pajama shorts I let out a short, high pitched squeal.

Darting to my closet, I look for an acceptable interview outfit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hello." The receptionists voice greets me. "Name?"

"Kristen Weeks."

"Appointment time?"

"9:30 A.M."

Looking at the clock, she sees that it is 9:15, and raises an eyebrow at me.

"I like to be punctual." I state.

"Hmmm," She says, and turns to get my temporary security pass. "Clip this on to the front of your shirt, and scan it at every security station, or you will be escorted out of the building, no questions asked."

"Thank you, ma'am." I say as I walk to the elevators, remembering to scan my badge on the way there.

*Ding*

Looking forward, I see an elevator with a man in a green suit inside.

"What floor?" He asks, looking at the floor buttons.

"Uhmm...I'm not sure." I murmur.

"Who are you visiting?" He asks in a friendly tone, looking up to smile at me. He's actually got a  cute smile. His eyes are beautiful, too.

"Mr...Sage?" I say, turning my statement into a question.

His eyes dim a little bit. "Oh. Applying for the job of executive assistant?" He asks.

"Yes? Is that a bad thing?" I ask as he presses the button to the 35th floor, and the doors slide shut.

"Don't get your hopes up, Sweetheart." He says, giving me an encouraging smile.

"Ok...I didn't catch your name?" I say, turning to look at him.

"Jase. Jase Sloan." He says with a smile as the doors slide open.

"Nice to meet you Jase, I'm Kristen." I say, putting my hand out to shake his, and then leaving the elevator.

Looking around, I notice that the walls were actually glass. It was refreshing to be able to see the city that I love, instead of boring brown walls.

Walking forward, I see a stressed looking woman in her mid forties sitting at the receptionist desk for this floor.

"Hello, my name is Kristen Weeks, and I'm here for an interview with Mr. Sage?" I ask, looking at her for conformation.

"Yes, hello Kristen, I'm Alison. I'm the receptionist for Mr. Sage, and Tiffany Shore. You are about ten minutes early, but I'll page Mr. Sage, and let him know that you're here."

"Thank you, ma'am."

"Of course, you may go ahead and have a seat, right over there." She tells me, pointing to my right.

Sitting in one of the four chairs, I set my bag on my lap, and pull out my resume, ready to show Mr. Sage immediately. My last boss had been quite the jerk, and also a very busy man, so I knew not to keep business men waiting. I loved my job very much, and took it quite seriously.

Why did I leave? Because as busy, and jerk like as he was...he was also a pervert. An old one at that.  That's why I quit. I promised to not say anything to anyone, as long as he wrote me excellent recommendations.

"Miss Weeks?" Alison called me. Looking up at her, she tilted her head to indicate to follow her.

As I reached her, she turned and started to walk down the hallway behind her that I was too nervous to notice before. The floor was a dark green tile, and all I could hear was Alison's three inch heels click-clacking on the floor. It seemed to make my nerves grow more intense.

When she stopped at a heavy looking, wooden door, I knew that this was the moment that I had to pull myself together, and present myself in a way as to not let him say no to me.

Three quick knocks on the door, and she was off, walking at a brisk pace down the hallway.

"Enter." A man's voice called from the opposite side of the door.

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves, and opened the door.

What I saw though, caused all of the air to leave my body.