The Phone Call

Arriving back home, all I can think about is how dramatic today was. It seems like so long ago that I woke up to go to my new doctor. Although in retrospect, it's only been about fourteen hours.  Opening the door, I drop my keys on the hallway table and lean against the door. Laying my head on the door, I close my eyes and let everything catch up to me.

    Becca is gone... I think. How could anyone take that precious little girl?

    Tears start to stream down my face, and my breath hitches in my throat. I can feel the sobs coming on, and I know that I don't want to cry in the entryway. Standing up, I head to my room but stop at the kitchen to grab a water.

    Taking a drink, I sit down on my bed and feel something stick my butt. Furrowing my eyebrows, I reach under me and grab it. Wilderness Survival for Dummies. Smiling slightly, I flip through the pages, and feel a slight catch on one of the pages but just ignore it. It's a new book. Looking at a few pictures, I start to remember what all Isaiah said to me earlier and I feel the tears start to come back.

    "Fuck!" I scream, and throw the book at my wall. I hear the pages crinkle and smash against it and it drop to the floor. "What the hell did I do to him to deserve this?"

    I realize that he's upset about Rebecca, but still...there was no point in pushing me away like that. That was so harsh. I didn't do anything wrong. If it's my fault that she's been taken...I don't know what I'll do with myself, but I know for a fact that I will do everything in my power to find her. She doesn't deserve this.

    But there's nothing that I can do about it tonight. It's too late, and I'm exhausted. I'll try and call around in the morning when I wake up. Hopefully I can find someone who can do something for her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. The stupid ringing keeps getting louder and more insistent. Ring ring! Ring ring! Slapping my hand onto my bedside table, I pull my phone to me and blindly run my finger across the screen.

    "Hello?" I mutter groggily into the phone. "Who is this?"

    The phone is staticky for a moment before an altered voice comes on the line. "We have Rebecca." Chills spread down my arms and legs, and up my neck. "If you call the police, we will kill her." A rod is surely stuck on my spine, and that's why I can't move. "If you ever want to see her alive, you'll meet us at the park. Downtown. Across from the river. The place where you first met Becca." How do they know that? "You have two hours. If you're not there within that time frame, with 300 million dollars, you will be killed as well. Do you understand?"

    "Y-y-yes." I somehow stutter out.

    "We'll be waiting. Do not call the police." The dial that signals the end of the phone calls sounds in my ear, but I am frozen. They have Rebecca. This is all my fault. And they have Rebecca. Because of me. Never mind how they knew I had money. But this is all my fault. Rebecca's kidnapping...it was my fault. Three-hundred million dollars was nothing in hindsight. Nothing.

    A surge of determination radiates throughout my body, and I throw my phone at the wall. It shatters. I will do this. For Rebecca. For the little girl that has grown to mean more to me than my own life in less than a few hours. Maybe it's because she reminds me of myself. Maybe it's because I've been in the same position as her... whatever it is, I will save her.

    The drive to my bank was a struggle. Somewhere along the way, I'd forgotten to put my contacts in. The fact that it was still pitch black out didn't help. The storm that was blowing in was definitely in synch with my emotions. Thankfully, I'd remembered my wallet. I'd need it for that big of a withdrawal out of my account, even if I did technically partially own the bank.