"I don't know why you bother with my uncle," he told her.

"He's rude."

"This is true. But that's not your concern. You go take that shower, I'll get this pasta to the laboring mother, and the world will spin the way it has. Okay?"

He kissed her as they stopped at his room, and he passed her bag to her.

"Okay."

She entered the room and he went to give Bri the food. "Thank you. Where's Shawn?"

"He'll be back. Lari is here in the shower."

Bri nodded and began eating the pasta, watching TV. Shayla and Erma were both in the room with Abrielle.

Erma had made it a point not to stress out her laboring daughter; so she didn't smother her with her maternal-ness. Instead, she simply extended herself to be there if Bri needed. Which her daughter appreciated.

Shawn came back into the room and sat down beside Bri, rubbing her arm. "Can you have the next baby?" she wondered, looking at him.

"Sorry."

She pouted, and he kissed her. Nurse Carla came over and rubbed Bri's hand in a soothing manner. "Is everything okay, honey? Are you worrying over something?"

"I'm afraid," Abrielle admitted.

Nurse Carla continued stroking circles in her hand. "Listen, honey. The anxiety is slowing your labor up. The more you worry about it, the longer you'll feel it. Loosen up. Why don't you try to walk around a little bit?" she suggested.

Abrielle got up and held her back, walking around with Shawn. He rubbed her belly. "It'll be over soon," he assured her.

She rested her head on his shoulder. "You are so having the next baby," she told him with an air of seriousness. He chuckled. "I'm not joking."

"I know. I'm sorry."

He kissed her head. They walked outside and he took her walking in the backyard. Sapphire had a little fence around her house so that she didn't shit around the yard, and Shawn usually cleaned it up so that it wouldn't pile up and the dog wouldn't start doing her business inside.

Abrielle enjoyed the feeling of the grass beneath her feet as the sun shone down and the scent of coming rain filled her nostrils and lungs.

"Do you think it'll rain?"

Shawn looked up at the clouds and shrugged. It smelled like rain. "Probably."

Abrielle was beginning to feel more relaxed outside. She had a few very strong contractions and leaned on her husband for support. They nearly knocked her to her knees.

She went and dipped her feet in the pool before going back into the house to get a honey cube. She offered one to her husband, but he was not a big fan of honey and declined.

She went in the fridge and took out a gallon jug of water, drinking straight from it the way she normally would not. But she was thirsty and couldn't be bothered with a glass.

Upon going back upstairs, Abrielle found Larielle in the room wearing a pink sundress, her feet bare and hair tied back.

"I'm here," she sang, getting up to hug Abrielle. But Abrielle held her arms out to protest the hug, and Larielle froze in place.

"I'm glad you showed up. Please no touching."

"Okay."

Abrielle went to turn on the radio and Down by Jaysean was playing. When she began to sing along, everyone in the room winced a little bit. Poor girl couldn't hold a note.