Chapter 3: Bad News

The door opened and it revealed Pat panting heavily. His eyes were reddish and his face was in total shock. He walked clumsily towards John. He kneeled down beside him and rested his head on John's lap.

"Pat, what's wrong? I'm still alive, you know? There's nothing to be sad about." John asked, worriedly. He isn't used in seeing his brother like this. Pat was always optimistic even in times of danger. He even stood up to their father when he was beating John up so badly.

It took a full minute before he could respond. He just kept staring at blank space as if he was lost in another realm.

"John, Da-Dad's... dead!" Pat finally said.

John's eyes widened. Tears streamed down his cheeks uncontrollably. Pat bursted into tears as well.

He should be happy that his abuser is already dead but, this was entirely different. Even if his father abused him, he still loves him so dearly. He was hoping that his father will snap out of it someday but now, it's already too late.

"I can't believe this!" he cried.

John wailed so badly. Pat hugged his little brother and patted his back.

Korey was deeply saddened to see her love one crying. But deep down inside, she's a bit happy that the abusive father is already gone.

"How'd it happen?" she asked.

Pat turned his attention to Korey and answered with a weak tone, "Dad... hanged himself."

John's cries got louder when he heard this.

"He wanted to make ammends to you and to our mother. That's why he killed himself." Pat added to John.

John tried to calm down and altogether, stopped crying. He realized that his father managed to snap out of it eventually. He was finally contented that his father died loving him. That was all he could ask for. He just wishes to hug him one last time.

"He could've just told me." he mumbled.

If only he could turn back time. He would've stopped his mother from dying and he and his father could be a one 'small' happy family now, but he knows it's impossible. Maybe this all happened for a reason. If this didn't happen, then he would've never meet Korey.

Korey noticed that John stopped from crying but instead, he slumped back down the bed lazily and clumsily. Pat let go of him and stood up and walked outside.

"Hey, are you alright now?" she asked.

"Please, Korey... I just need some time alone." John replied with a husky voice.

Korey nodded and left him.

John closed his eyes, hoping these could all be just a huge nightmare.

But deep down inside, he knows this is all real and he can't do anything to stop it.

3 Months Later...

It's been 3 months since everything turned back to normal. John's injuries already healed and Korey paid for the expenses since she's a bit rich. John's wounds healed yes, but did his mind and heart heal through this traumatizing experiences? Who knows?

Korey was excited in seeing John recovering a bit. She packed John's clothes up and helped him get on his wheelchair.

"John, are you ready to get out on the real world?"

"I-I don't know, Kor.'

John turned away his looks from Korey down to the floor. He wasn't energetic like he used to be.

"Oh, come on John! You'll be fine."

Korey planted a kiss on John's forehead and pushed him outside his hospital room. They finally reached the nurses' headquarters and told them John's already checking out.

"Congratulations, Mr. Cooper! Your wounds have finally healed! Ummm... sort of. Well anyways, you should be able to move on, right?" the nurse beamed.

John shrugged. Korey paid for the expenses. She helped John get inside her vehicle.

"You're going to be fine, babe. I promise."

John didn't say anything. He still feels like in Hell. So much happened! His wrist still hurts due to his endless cutting. He snoozed off and fell in a deep sleep.

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
John's POV❤

"Wake up, you useless piece of crap!"

A famillar voice woke me up. I opened my eyes and Dad was glaring at me while holding a knife on his left hand and a whip on his right.

"You were smiling while you were sleeping. It looked like you were having a nice dream. Too bad I'm here to break it," my abusive father chuckled.

I-I don't understand. All of what happened was just a dream?! It can't be. This might sound crazy but...

I'm glad Dad's still alive and breathing.

I have no other choice but to accept my fate.

"Alright, punish me." I boldly said.

"My father looked confused. Usually, I would scream and cry whenever I see him and ran out of the room until he catches me. But now, I'm completely the opposite.

"You're the who wants this." he smirked.

Dad tied up my hands together on the heeadboard with a rope and began hitting me with the whip. Its sharp edge teared the living crap out of me. My flesh started to rip apart. I yelped out in pain.

Tears streamed down my face but he didn't stop. He hit me over and over, harder than the last.

"It hurts!" I screamed.

Dad laughed and grabbed his survival knife. He kept slicing my arms with it. The blood coming out from my arms soaked the white bed sheets.

I slowly looked at my arm. It was completely covered with blood! Anytime now I'm going to die from blood loss.

"Dad, this is too much. P-please..."

Despite my pleading, he didn't mind me. He kept slicing it over and over again. My head starts to spin. I don't know how to stop my dad anymore.

If he's happy to see me like this then I'm fine.

My eyes slowly closed. He was still hitting me that's for sure. The same water poured down my eyes.

I felt sadness overwhelm me. I'm yearning to know when will I ever be set free?

The last thing I heard was Dad's menacing laughter and then... nothingness.