Snowball Fights

"Ouch-ow, fuck! Mikey stop!" Gerard swatted his younger brother off of him. Mikey was holding onto Gerard's jacket for dear life, and he wasn't letting go without a fight. Mikey laughed so hard that his foot slipped out from under him and he ended up falling on his ass. His glasses went flying and I swear to god I almost died because I laughed so hard. I mean, he could've just gotten back up like a normal person, but instead he just sat on his butt for a minute, looking around for his glasses on the ice. Eventually a rink employee had to come over and help him up.

After the catastrophe that was ice skating, we went into the lounge and got some hot chocolate and snacks. "Whose idea was this, anyway? My ass is bruised." Mikey said, massaging his rear end while holding a hot chocolate in one hand and a bag of chips between his teeth.

I sat down in one of the booths, scooting all the way until I was by the wall. It was dark in here, and I don't think the mood lighting was intentional. The florescent lights were all out except for a few in the middle of the room. I guess I was staring at the lights for a while, because Haley found it necessary to snap me out of my concentration. "Jess," she sang. "Jessers, whacha lookin at?" I blinked back to reality, nodding my head. Haley laughed and patted my hands, which were folded and rested on the table.

Mikey and Gerard were in the middle of a heated debate about... Unicorns. "Technically they could still exist. There's lots of islands and stuff that we still haven't fully explored yet!" Mikey said. His eyebrows were furrowed in frustration. "Michael Way, you are almost an adult. Let the dream go, man." Gerard said sighing.

I silently questioned my friend's sanity while taking a sip of my hot chocolate. It was cheap and watery, but I was freezing and needed the heat. Gerard noticed I was cold and put his arm around me. I grabbed him by his hand and pulled him closer which caused him to make a surprised noise.

I giggled to myself and thought about what would happen to Gerard and Mikey when we went back to school. Mikey would be a nervous wreck, which would make him an easy target for the assholes at school. I would have to warn him about that later.

Then I thought about Gerard. I felt like he wouldn't get such a warm welcome, either. In all honesty, Gerard would probably get beat up or something. I was worried for them.

I wasn't worried about my own popularity by any means. I was the kind of person who had friends, but no one exactly knew me. Except for Haley, of course. I talked to people all day, but if you asked anyone who I was they would probably reply with a 'who?' I considered myself the designated ghost of the school.

Sooner or later we had all finished our food and decided to leave. When we were walking out I saw Haley reach over and grab Mikey's hand and squeeze it. I hit Gerard's shoulder and pointed at them. He grinned and whipped out his phone. I watched silently as Gerard took a picture and saved it to his phone. We laughed with each other as we got back into the car.

"What are you two laughing at?" Haley asked, being nosy. "Oh, nothing." I said, causing Gerard and I to laugh harder. Suddenly, I felt bits of snow deflect onto my face. I looked over at Gerard, who had a smashed snowball all over his face. "Oh, you're on!" he said, screaming and lunging towards a large snowdrift. He quickly shot back snow at Haley and Mikey, missing practically every shot. I decided to take refuge in the car. For a few minutes I watched Gerard get obliterated by his little bro and my best friend. Oops.

By the time they were finished, Mikey and Haley looked perfectly fine and Gerard looked more like a snowman than a human being. "Thanks for leaving me out there, Jess!" Gerard said like the little brat he was. "Pick your battles, Gee. I can't help you with all of em'." I replied.