What a Sucker

It turned out that Mikey and I had a lot in common. Throughout winter break, he and I had hung out almost every day. We listened to shitty punk music, I watched him play video games, I even showed him some of my art.

Gerard and I haven't talked much, though. I'm kind of bummed about it. I haven't told Mikey about it though, because I don't want him to pressure Gerard about it. Mikey says he's pretty nervous about going to a new school.

"Hey Mikey?" I asked.

"Yeah Jess?" He asked while texting on his phone. I assumed it was one of his friends from home.

"Your brother has seemed a little quiet lately... Is everything okay with him? Is he missing home or anything?" I asked, trying to figure out why the fuck Gerard was avoiding me.

"No- yeah, he's fine. I think he has a crush on you, quite honestly. He comes out when you're not here."

I tried not to smile but ended up smirking.

"I kind of miss him, dude. Tell him that and maybe he'll come out more." I said, immediately regretting it. As soon as I blurted it out, Mikey was already running towards Gerard's room in the attic.

"MIKEY NO I DIDN'T MEAN RIGHT NOW!" I yelled after him, but it was too late, so I didn't even bother chasing after him. Mikey was already up the steps and knocking on the attic door.

"Yeah?" Gerard said, scratching his head. He was dressed in Star Wars pajama pants and a black hoodie.

"Jess wants you to come down. She says she misses you." Mikey said.

Gerard looked at me standing in the doorway of Mikey's room. I gave a smile and a small wave while I plotted Mikey's death.

"Uhhh okay... I'll be right down!" Gerard said, however I could tell he was hesitant.

I groaned loudly enough for the entire house to hear and flopped down onto Mikey's bed. Mikey came trotting in with a big smile on his face.

"Are you proud of what you've done? You've managed to embarrass me and your brother in one swift act." I said. I grabbed a pillow and covered my face with it.

"Why are you embarrassed?"

Just as I was about to answer, I heard the attic door creak open and Gerard walking down the creaky stairs.

"We'll talk about this later." I whispered violently.

Gerard had changed into black skinny jeans and a Misfits shirt. It was a big change from his previous Star Wars pj's.

"Nice look, bro." Mikey said, snickering. Gerard shot him a look.

"Hey, Gee. Long time, no see." I said. "What have you been up to?"

"Not much. Drawing, reading, watching TV." He said as he sat down on Mikey's desk chair.

"Wanna hang out tonight?" I said, as if I was coaxing a rabbit from out of its hole.

"Sure. I'll be here, as usual. Stop by whenever." Gerard said, standing back up. "I'm gonna go to Starbucks. Anyone want anything?"

After Gerard left, Mikey and I talked about the strange encounter we had with his brother.

"He's crushing hard, Jess. He even changed his outfit for you!" Mikey said loudly.

"Oh please! He changed to get coffee. You heard him!"

"I'll bet you twenty bucks he'll ask you to come over Christmas eve." Mikey said.

"That's what friends do, though!" I responded.

"He's totally gonna make a move on Christmas. He's a sucker for the Holidays."

"Okay, deal. Twenty dollars, you're on. Even if he does like me, he's not going to make a move." I said as I shook Mikey's hand.

The more I thought about it, the more I noticed how unfair the bet was. Mikey could easily bias Gerard's decisions.

"You're not allowed to lead him on about me. He has to ask me out on his own terms." I added.

"Yes, ma'am." Mikey said, saluting me.