Snowy Situation: Part One

After that awful conversation with Mikey, I walked back home through the the light snow that was forming on the roads. When I finally got there, my mom still wasn't home from work. I jumped on my bed and took out my phone. I got a text from Mikey. What could have possibly happened in the ten minutes I've been gone?

from: mikey

gee is home and asking where u went (^ ^)

That boy is quirkier than he seems. I mean, kawaii emoticons?

I sighed and turned on my TV. I flipped through the stations, each one playing a different holiday-themed show. I finally found the Peanut's Christmas special and stopped there. In less than ten minutes, I was asleep.

I was rudely woken up to the sound of my phone's ringtone, which caused a streak of pure anxiety shoot through me as I checked the time. NINE O' CLOCK! I was kind of late getting to Gerard.

I jumped out of bed, quickly checked my reflection in the mirror, and ran downstairs. My boots were waiting for me where I had left them, so I said goodbye to my mother and ran out the door. I dialled Gee when I was speed walking.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Gee." I said, panting. "You still cool with me coming over tonight?"

"Yeah! Uh, where have you been?"

"I fucking fell asleep, sorry. Be over in a minute!"

And with that, I hung up and made my way to his house. There was even more snow than earlier, but I didn't even notice until I was almost there. As I marched up their driveway, I noticed that it was empty except for Gerard's car.

I knocked on the door. "Coming!" I heard Gerard faintly coming from inside the house. He let me in and I gave him a small hug. I never hug but I felt guilty for coming over so late.

"Where's the family?" I asked as I stripped off my coat.

"Got stuck in town and had to stay at a motel for the night. The roads are too bad to drive home." He said as he took my coat and hung it in the closet.

"Where's Mikes?"

"He's with them! Looks like it's just you and me, kiddo." He said. It gave me a small ping of excitement which I quickly crushed, because Gerard and I were just friends.

"Sweet. How have you been? We haven't talked much." I said, changing the subject.

"Alright, I guess. Kind of bored, actually. With you and Mikey hanging out all the time I have no one to hang out with."

I made a face at him. "What makes you think I only come over here for Mikey?"

The question made him freeze up. He opened his mouth but nothing came out. I smiled and made my way to the kitchen. I made an impulsive decision to make some cookies.

"What're you doin'?" He said, Jersey accent poking through.

"I'm makin' some cookies!" I said, mocking his nasally tone. He put his hand on his hip and rolled his eyes.

Gerard was dressed... Nicely. He had on some skinny jeans with a leather jacket thrown over a hoodie. He was even wearing combat boots... in his house.

"Hey Gee?" I asked.

"Yes Jess?" He said, smiling at the small rhyme he made. What a dork.

"Did you just get home?"

"No, why?" He asked.

"Your outfit's kinda snazzy for around the house."

He scratched his head and mumbled something to himself, smiling. He walked over to the kitchen table and sat down.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going? Make me some coffee!"

"Magic word?"

"The magic word is cookies. Which is what I'm making for you right now."

"Sorry, mom. Forgot my manners for a minute." He shot back, causing both of us to laugh.

By the time we were done with baking, we had finished two pots of coffee. I was starting to get jittery, but I wasn't going to stop drinking the hot beverage anytime soon.

"Time to get to the dirt." I said, causing Gerard's eyes to bug out. I don't even think he could help it. "How are you feeling about starting a new school?"

"Honestly I just want to finish high school. I'm not expecting to make friends, I just want to get my credits and leave."

"GeRARD!" I screeched. "YOU NEED TO BE MORE POSITIVE! You're such a great guy and you have a lot to offer!" I said, hitting him on the arm.

He rubbed it where I hit him and kind of laughed the pep talk off. I really needed to work on this guy's self esteem.