Chapter Twenty: The Tale of Two Heartbreaks

- Edited -

Something shifts the next day at school. The juniors and seniors of Summers High are scrambling in the halls, balancing notes on top of textbooks as they scurry from one class, to the library, then to the next. Finals season is approaching and the next few weeks of assignments determine what can make or break your grades right before exams.

The only class I struggle with is calculus, which I begrudgingly spent a good three hours on yesterday after peeling myself out of bed. There's a test tomorrow and with a study guide that still needs completing, I'll be taking it first thing in the morning on nothing but a few hours of sleep, coffee, and attempted positive vibes.

"How's the boyfriend?" a voice says from behind me as I'm hanging tutoring flyers on a bulletin board. Already recognizing her haughty voice, I barely spare Bella a glance over my shoulder as she stops in the middle of the hallway with two girls flanking her. "I hope you're keeping him satisfied. Poor boy almost left the party with me last Friday." As if their cue, the two girls giggle.

I clench my jaw at the satisfaction dripping from her words. Admitting Logan and I aren't together anymore would be healthy, but I can't swallow my pride enough to tell Bella. She'd claim the deterioration of my relationship as a prize of her own, and I'm too stubborn to let her have that.

"Last minute tutoring slots are going fast," I say, pointing to the nearly-full sign up sheet pinned to the board. "Better hurry." I make a break for the cafeteria and shove down the tiny clench in my chest at the thought of Bella and Logan together. "Don't be a loser, Paige," I mumble.

The shift wasn't just in academics. Carmen sent an 'SOS' text this morning, and ghosted me when I sent back a question mark. Ashton was absent in graphic design, Trevor a no-show in gym, and now all three of them aren't at our usual table. Many kids are alternating between eating their lunch and last minute cram sessions. It's hectic, and sitting in the center of the chaos alone isn't appealing.

I clutch my packed lunch before deciding to retreat to the library. "Paige!" Someone clutches my arm. I gasp and lose my balance as they drag me to the side of the cafeteria. We're right next to a trash can dripping ketchup and barbecue sauce over its sides as Carmen shakes my arms. "It's bad. It's so bad!"

"What happened?!"

"I broke up with Trevor," she admits.

"Oh." I'm assuming, unsurprisingly, it didn't go as planned. "He's probably just hurt. As are you. You were together for years and-"

"I'm fine, but he's pissed. Like, pissed. He's been blowing up my phone even though I've declined every call."

"Carmen." I hold out a hand to stop what's about to come out next. Her eyes are wide and red like she's been crying, like she can burst into tears again at any moment. "How did you do it?" I don't want to point fingers, but I know my friends. Trevor doesn't blow up unnecessarily, especially when it comes to her.

She glances at the floor, unable to hold eye contact. "Through text."

"Text?! You spent years with the guy and you broke up with him through a phone? An actual call would've been a step up."

"I know! I'm a coward, alright!" she relents. "I woke up Saturday morning sure of two things: I'm never drinking again-"

"Sure."

"Stay with me! Okay, so, no more drinking, and I just woke up and knew, Paige. Like we talked about the night before. It's over. It's been over for a long time but I just couldn't bring it up. He was taking care of me and doing that overprotective thing he does a little too well. Listen, I wasn't the best girlfriend but I couldn't-"