Chapter eleven

Chaz gave me a big hug and told me we'd see each other later on. My dad ended up telling him what was happening; so he was okay with rescheduling for later. My parents and I get into the car in a comforting silence. In the car I don't hesitate to open the presents I was eager to see. I randomly grabbed the rectangle shaped, white, cardboard box with a lavender, swirly, bow on top. I took off the top and saw pastel colors everywhere; these were my favorite cupcakes from the bakery a few blocks away from the Avon Theatre. This one was from Pattie, I could tell even though the card that came with it had no name. I couldn't believe she also helped Justin see me for my birthday, I just wish we could've had a longer moment. My smile progressed as I opened the other two gifts; Chaz gave me his worn up adidas sneakers that he wore when he was my age now. I looked around the shoes to see that red scuff mark that marked an amazing day for all of us. I saw the red scuff mark on the back of both shoes, this mark was from the park when they first painted the now dry and red benches. That day it was Justin, Chaz, Ryan, Jenna, and I at the park, we were sitting on the bench enjoying that Saturday late afternoon when Chaz sat on the table and kicked his shoes back and forth on the wet paint. Justin shoved Chaz off the bench, making that permanent scuff mark, to be able to sit next to me. It ended up with me being the rope in a game of tug of war while nine year old Jenna and Ryan flirted. Later that night was the night I snuck out of my house and Justin snuck out of his, for us to see each other at that tree in the park and we had our first kiss together. Coming back to reality now, I take off my shoes and put on Chaz's and remember how in love I was and still am with these shoes. I look around the shoe one more time and see he signed the bottom of them, the way the bottom of Woody's boot has Andy's name. I picked up the last and smallest box, this one was from mama Somers. This woman was someone I really looked up to as my best friend when I was way young; when Justin couldn't babysit me, she would. I opened the blue velvet box and found these precious silver earrings. The earrings were from a super luxurious antique store we used to walk by on our way back to my house. I remember gazing at the window, but never going in. I put the earrings on and right after ate the pastel green frosting, cupcake signed with a pastel purple L, on top, from the box with the other cupcakes. I finished the big cupcake while my dad spoke to me about something.

Dad:so Jenna told us that she wanted to take you to Quebec for the weekend.

I shift my gaze from out the window to my dad facing the street while he drove. I remember Jenna mentioned getting away for my birthday like we did for hers, but she never clarified with me.

Lourdes:yeah, can I go?

My mom rapidly says

Mom:yes, just pack everything you need for four whole days, call us, and be careful. You guys are 15 and 16 just watch out as best you can.

I creep a genuine smile on my face and say calmly to calm my mom.

Lourdes:yeah definitely, but you guys weren't this anxious or careful when I went to California, another state in another country, with Hailey.

Dad:like your mom said you guys are just 15 and 16 going on a train to Quebec for four days. Plus in New York you met up with Justin. I'm honestly just worried if you guys would run out of money.

I giggle.

Lourdes:we'll be fine, it'll be really fun.

Dad:I know fun, but I want you guys to be resourceful.

Lourdes:yeah definitely, thanks guys.

I start to play with my mom's hair while she lays back on the passenger seat in front of me. She closes her eyes and it seems she's alseep while my dad yawns nonstop. There's a long healthy weekend and everyone's tired on my birthday, how nice. I remember how just around 30 minutes ago, I was running my fingers through Justin's cold yet soft hair and I warmed up instantly in the cold car. Not long after, my parents park in front of a row of small buildings with stores and a driver's ed building. I open the door, get out, close the door, as my parents do the same. My parents smile at me when I look at the driver's ed building then back at them. I walk to and inside the building while walking through the cold air with the sight of my breath. I walk in and see a few people in chairs. I walk directly to the desk with a young guy maybe looking a little bit older than Justin. I don't know if it's the guy's dull expression or he's having a bad day, but he looks old, which is sad for the fact he was attractive with his grey blue eyes. I rested my hands in my pocket and he sat straight in his seat with alert eyes. He forces a smile and I greet him to break the silence between us.