t w o - when two eyes meet✔️

I lose my bearings for a moment, taking in the scenery. My god, if the other hall was grand, this one was other worldly. There were roses scattered all around the table, with white baby breaths ever so delicately placed. The candles were elevated above the table in rows and just above the table, sheets draped down from pillar to pillar, complimenting the gold accents that etched into the pillars every curve and crevice.

To pull it all together, the chandelier, which took centre stage, was hung with each crystal ornament reflecting the light in a spectacular show of wealth. The Kingdom must have instructed the help of faeries and witches for this room, and it really paid off.

I stand paralysed for a moment, taking it in and almost forgetting my nerves. I quickly regain myself and take the seat marked 'Professor Andrews - HH', far away from The King, who looked nothing like the happy host he should be. He sat, hood up, nonchalantly on his throne, despite fully covering his face, he projected an aura of strength and power.

I could see that he immediately made everyone who was near him uncomfortable with his presence. I couldn't see a single feature of his face from here which was all the better, I was quite honestly afraid of the man, just like everyone else in this Kingdom; but I had good reason to be. No one else in this kingdom had witnessed the true rage of the King, I didn't really either but I experienced the effects of it, and it left me less than eager to be buddy buddy with him.

Looking down at the menu in hand, I snort in laughter, of course they engraved the menu with gold writing as well. Anne must have made these, her calligraphy is beautifully distinctive.

I feel my arm start to sting, I scratch my forearm to relieve the pain.

I am brought out of my thoughts by a group of girls giggling to my right, all looking unbelievably gorgeous with their hair in intricate plaits and styles. They looked around my age, 19, descendants of Elders, no doubt, with the blue ocean marks on their necks distinguishing them. They dressed exceptionally; their dresses so expertly sown I had to take a moment to appreciate the craftsmanship.

"Oh my god, he's staring this way, do you think he's looking at me?" The blonde one asks.

"No, you idiot, he's clearly looking at me. Oh my GOD, what if I'm his mate?" The other responds.

"No way! You could never be mates with a Lycan let alone The King! Look at him."

"I am." The brunette swoons, "Do you think he likes brunettes-"

"No he looks like a blonde type of guy." The blonde quickly interjects, the other girl ignores her and continues.

"Oh, I can tell he's hot even with that hood on; what I'd give to see his face." I tune out of conversation, not wanting to hear anymore.

One of their fathers turns to them, irritation ablaze in his eyes.

"Aritha, Sansa, It would do you girls good to focus on something other than your wishful fantasies of The King. I have had just enough of you making fools of yourselves and I at this dinner."

The girls blush a scarlet red. Even though the comments weren't directed at me, I feel my cheeks rising in colour too at the man's harsh words.

I chose to focus on my food throughout the dinner, knowing I won't converse with anyone all night. I finish my appetiser and decide to people watch, I have nothing better to do anyway.

I look down towards the end of the large table where The King is sat, he's mindlessly twirling the gold rings on his finger, clearly eager to leave. To his right is Beta Marcus, he's in his early forties and is a complete contrast to The King, he's laughing at a pack members joke, his eyes tearing up. The Beta is known as a social butterfly, always cracking jokes and making people smile. I've never talked to him before but whenever his name is brought up in conversation, everyone's face seems to light up.

To the kings left is Gamma Lione, the third in command, I don't know much about him, no one really does. He's a very reserved guy, never saying more than needed during his pack announcements. Yet no matter what he says, he has a gift for commanding a room and making sure he's heard. I look at him and notice he's grown out his hair since the last time I've saw him, I like it - it suits him.

As if he knew I was staring, Gamma Lione turns his head to my direction and we make eye contact, I immediately look down at my empty plate. I furiously blush, horrified that I was caught staring.

It's okay, he probably didn't even notice.

I'm being dramatic, I reason, as I raise my head back up, I bet he's already forgotte-

He's staring right at me.

He smirks when we make eye contact again and turns back to Beta Marcus, smiling to himself. Oh my god, kill me.

I spend the rest of the dinner with my eyes glued to the table. Once the dinner finishes, the Alphas and Lunas settle into their seats in the reception hall with the entire pack behind them to await the King's speech. Our current King wasn't known for his formalities and instead chose to sit aside, shrouded in a dark hood as his retired father gave the expected speech.

King Eres makes his way center stage, his footsteps echoing around the grand hall. The entire crowd is silent as he takes a seat at his throne. Even without a word, his presence commanded the unwavering attention of the room.

Personally, I thought the true magic was in his aura. The darkness and power that seeped beneath made him truly untouchable. His aura could choke the whole room if he willed, I had first hand experience of how powerful his aura could be when I entered the west wing well past midnight, coming back late from the lab, I walked past his office and immediately fell to my knees. I remember it so vividly, my lungs burning in agony, my hands clamouring at my throat, begging oxygen to return to them. I feared death at that very moment, not knowing when the pain would relinquish.

I could feel his darkness burning through the door in waves, pure rage, it hit me all at once. I couldn't recall much else from that night, just the heaviness of my eyes, and the cold sweat that I broke out in.

No known Kings have ever been able to conjure the same intensity as his tar black aura. Our elders credited it to the War God Amitius, who in tales was said to posses the same power, using it to kill his enemies, hundreds at a time.

My arm, again, begins to sting even worse, I continue to scratch it but to no avail. The same spot, a faded scar on my upper forearm.

The retired King Arthur coughed, requesting the attention of the room, some listened. Most though, remained fixated on King Eres, completely entranced.

"Thank you all for attending this year's Cresent Dinner, I am aware of the long and tiresome journey some of you have taken to be able to attend, many travelling realms to be able to partake in tonight's infamous festivities."

Some in the crowd cheer, giddy with excitement at being acknowledged. King Arthur continues to talk on about various important issues of the kingdom and congratulating some of the new warriors on their new positions in the kingdom. The whole crowd reacts strongly to his jokes and to all the celebratory news, feeling privileged to take part in this event.

"Once again, thank you all for attending and I shall leave you to enjoy the evening ball in the East Orius Hall."

The crowd bursts into applause, everyone cheering at the success of the kingdom.

I look down at my forearm and see it has turned bright red, I swear I didn't even scratch that hard.