Chapter One: So Number 50326...You Are?

Start from the beginning

"So, now that we're done here, do you mind following me to the meeting room. The lords are going to be waiting for you." Mark said, getting up from the table.

"Fine, but Valek..." Alexandra turned to the other guard.

"Yes, Alex."

"Go fetch 50326...hopefully dinner will be better than Tom's burnt chicken!"

"How can you still think of food after all this?" Mark exclaimed.

"It's dinner...and besides it's the only thing to cheer me up after going to THAT meeting..." Alexandra replied, narrowing her eyes. She knew it was her duty, but sometimes those meetings left her with a bad taste. Especially if HE decided to show up.

"Alright, I'll send someone for your new chef, now go to your meeting." Valek told her, sounding very parental. "You know it's surprising how thin you are, compared to how much I see you eat!"

"Shut up!"

-----

Having been summoned to the castle, he was surprised when he was asked which quarters he would like to use. Amazed that it was available he selected one that was familiar to him and settled in to the space.

"Her Majesty has asked for you." A messenger said, knocking on his open door.

"Of course...I'm coming." He replied.

Combing through his brown hair using his hand, he gave himself one last look in the mirror on the wall. His steel colored eyes shined back at him.

A part of him wondered if he was doing the right thing by coming to this place. None of his family or friends knew he had come back. How would they react?

I guess it's time to find out, he thought walking out of his room.

-----

"Please tell me that dinner is coming soon?" Alexandra slumped into her chair.

The meeting with the lords had gone longer than she had expected, luckily HE had not come this time.

"Looks like it's here, Alex." Valek told her, as the doors from the kitchen opened.

"So number 50326...you are?" Alexandra asked, as she looked down on the sheet with details of the chef.

"Nicholas Devereux..." Stunned by the voice and seeing the name on the papers, Alexandra looked up.

"Nick?" "Brother?" Mark, Valek, and Sophia all said simultaneously.

"You took part in the competition? How come you never told me?" Alexandra watched as Sophia confronted her brother.

"I wasn't sure I would even get the job, so I didn't want to get your hopes up. Besides...the whole point was to get the job fairly...right Your Highness." His steely grey eyes looked up at her.

It was the first time she was seeing him, after he had left the country to go study the culinary arts in Airidia, shortly before her coronation.

"You can still call me Alex...it's easier to remember who I know works here...and stuff..." She mumbled, still stunned at the coincidence.

Putting a plate of pasta in front of her, Alexandra looked up at him. He looked the same as when he'd left…just a little older and perhaps wiser. He was about as tall as Mark and Valek. For a moment she remembered when they were children; she had fallen down the castle's spiral staircase, Nicholas had found her crying and helped her up after wiping her tears.

"Well...I hope you enjoy dinner, your Highness...err...I mean Alex. I made lasagna, since I remembered how much you and Sophie loved it."

Shaking away the thoughts she watched him go back to the other two boys. She was unsure of what to say to him.

"As long as you don't burn anything…we're good." She told him, only to receive a grin.

Author's Note:

He? He who? You'll see soon enough!

Sorry about the short first chapter, I tried to make up for it by combining it with the diary entry. It's a very basic introduction to the story. All five main characters are present, and as we go along you will get to view parts of the story from each of their points of view. I promise this does get better! The chapters from here on in will be much longer, with more developments. I hope you'll give 'Memory of You' a chance. From what I've written so far, I've tried to make sure there is humor, action, adventure, a bit of mystery/intrigue, and of course romance and heart break. Things will be picking up in the next chapter, and instead of making you all wait an undetermined amount of time...I will post it on Sunday, June 23rd. (In keeping with my traditional Sunday posts...lol!)

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this short glimpse into the story. Please read and review, it would mean the world to me! =D

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Xx Andene