Wilmar

I left the Academy and went to my new studio apartment in Lower Manhattan. It was barely furnished, and the fire escape blocked my view of the zigzagging steel fire escapes on the backs of other buildings.

The White Queen instructed me to call Vanus as soon as I reached the city, but I freshened up and polished my nails first. It was about four o'clock before I made the call.

"It's me," I said.

"Janet, there you are. I've been waiting for your call." Vanus sounded bubbly and happy, like a fairy. "Let's meet at the usual spot."

I ran downstairs. The midsummer heat and glare were unbearable. I pulled a pair of shades out of my tote bag. The sun immediately began searing my exposed skin and I crossed the street to escape the burning rays.

I peered through the window of The House, my favorite bohemian café. A barista was behind the counter making an espresso at an antique copper and brass cappuccino machine. I was looking for signs of a spy, but there were only a few students huddled around a corner table. The place was oddly quiet. In fact, it was downright somber.

Vanus was sitting in the corner opposite the students, reading a magazine. She was wearing her usual green shirt and jeans. Her dress sense was so unlike her mother's penchant for all things white. There was half a glass of iced latte on the table, along with a laptop and a few newspapers.

"Hey, Vanus," I said softly.

"Janet! Do you want an iced latte?"

"Can I just drink some of yours?" I asked, picking up her glass. I was nervous about my first big undercover mission and I wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible.

"Help yourself." She smiled.

The milky iced latte was cool and refreshing. I'd missed the delicious coffee at The House.

"What's up?" I put down the glass.

"Here are your documents, instructions, and new phone." Vanus handed me a bulky envelope. "I also have your secure laptop and homework. You'll need to read the highlighted articles in these papers." She pointed to the newspaper on the table. "It won't be easy to replace the documents quickly, so don't lose them. And don't forget to destroy the instructions once you've read them."

"I won't." I slipped everything into my bag as police sirens sounded in the distance. "I better get going."

"Wait a sec. Tell me, honestly, are you fully recovered from that mobster mission?" She sounded concerned.

"I'm fine," I lied. I would've died that day if Vanus hadn't rescued us. If I'd died maybe I'd be with my mother now.

"Be careful ... play it safe. Okay?"

"I'll try."

"You're not alone on this job. Don't forget that. Call me if you have to." Vanus reached across the table and touched my arm.

"Thanks Vanus."

I walked on the shady side of the street back to my apartment. As soon as I got inside, I looked through the envelope. It contained instructions, a New York state ID, a passport, a university transcript, and a résumé. My new name was Scarlet Walters and my new birthday was October thirty-first. I was born on Halloween, that's easy enough to remember.

I looked through the newspapers and found one of the highlighted articles.

WILMAR EXPANSION

Wilmar Enterprises has been acquiring properties on prime land around Brooklyn and Manhattan. Plans are underway to redevelop the dilapidated properties into upscale condos and shopping malls. A few thousand residential and business tenants will soon be displaced to make way for the new developments.