John Quincy Adams Middle School ; Greenwich Village ; New York ; 8:00 a.m.

Lucas arrived at school the next morning. He passed Riley a lot during the day and Zay saw this unusual behavior by Lucas and decided to say something. He tapped Lucas' shoulder. Lucas turned and looked at Zay, "What's up man?" "I should be asking you that." he started, "Lucas you've been staring at this girl all day. This is unusual for you. I'm concerned." Lucas sighed and pulled Zay off to the side. "Zay look, remember the diary I found yesterday?" Zay nodded. Lucas acknowledged his nod and started again, "Well it belongs to her." And he gestured to Riley. "Riley Matthews." Zay nodded. "Who's the blonde she hangs out with?" Lucas shook his head, "Don't know." "You spent a whole night with her diary and all you know is her name?" Lucas put his hands up in surrender, "Hey! I didn't think it was right to read it!" Zay sighed. "Well lucky for you, I know a little bit about her." Zay knows at least a few facts about everyone in the school. "Riley Matthews. Birthday is some time in December. Best friend is a blonde girl named Maya Hart. Other best friend, Farkle Minkus. Former boyfriend, Charlie Gardner. That's all I know." Lucas was impressed by his friend's knowledge of this girl. "Former boyfriend? So she's not dating anyone?" "Not that I know of. Why? You like her or something?" Zay started smirking. He figured it out. Lucas sighed. "Yeah. I like her. And I mean for real this time. Not like every other girl. She's different. There's something about her. I can feel it. She's the girl I wanna be with." Zay smiled, partially laughing at his friend. "Dude, you haven't even met her!" Lucas smiled at Zay's remark. "Nah man, I don't have to have met her to know, it's just, I love this energy she has in her. I like how the littlest things make her day." Zay smiled at his best friend who finally found a girl to love. "Well then my friend, I say you go for it." Just as he said that his smile quickly faded as he looked past Lucas and saw what was happening. "Zay? What's wrong?" Lucas said, seeing the changed expression on his face. Lucas heard a scream and started to turn around when Zay jerked him back, "No. You don't wanna look." "Why not? Someone sounds hurt." Zay sighed and looked at the scene again. "You really love her?" Lucas nodded. "Okay go ahead." Lucas turned around and screamed at what he saw and ran to the scene.