00

Edited.

The back road out of the city wasn't all clear. There were a few cars here and there; sometimes an occasional roamer stuck inside a car. I walked on the side of the road carrying a backpack of supplies, a dull blade, and a handgun with two bullets left. I wanted to kick myself for dropping my rifle when half a dozen roamers surrounded me a few days ago. Instead of fighting my way through the roamers, I made a quick escape down an alley. I was usually smart about those things and I always kept low and inside my shelter, save for the weekly runs. That day I ran out of food supplies and I had only managed to scavenge a few cans of beans.

I glanced at the road behind me every minute or so, watching the city diminish and keeping out for roamers that might be behind me. I was nearing the outskirts, hoping to find fewer roamers out in the hills. So far, there weren't many.

The sun was at its peak, I was running out of the little energy I had and I was hungry. I frowned when I remembered I only had beans. I had been eating beans for every meal for 3 consecutive days, but I couldn't be picky. Especially not nowadays.

I heard the moans and groans of the roamers right after I rounded the corner.

I instinctively tightened my grip on the blade. I was seriously outnumbered and I couldn't kill them all. Maybe a few, but not all. I dug my blade deep into the roamer that was in front of me, having to use all my force on it since it was dull. Another was nearing me but my blade was stuck in the first's skull.

"Shit," I hissed, the roamer already reaching for me, its teeth snapping. I grabbed for the handgun from my back pocket. It was a really, really stupid move but if I didn't use it now I would soon become one of the living dead. I pushed the roamer away from me and pulled the trigger, immediately alerting the herd of my presence. My feet started moving before I could even think of a plan.

I had one more bullet left, but I was saving it.

The small herd of roamers were close but I knew I could outrun them and hide somewhere. Thank God my friend had persuaded me to join the track team in high school.

When I heard the sound of an approaching car alarm, I glanced behind me to see a red car zigzagging through the roamers. My eyes widened and I waved my arms frantically, trying to grab the driver's attention. I yelled, "Help me!"

"Help me you dumb ass," I yelled when the car zoomed past me. I pulled out my gun and aimed at the car. I pulled the trigger, missing on purpose, hoping it would catch the driver's attention. 

The car came to a screeching halt a short distance away from me, its alarm still roaring and the passenger door opened. I practically cried of relief right then and there, but then I remembered the roamers on my tail. I dashed towards it and climbed in before the living dead caught up.

I looked at him, noticing the maroon baseball cap he sported. "Thank you," I said, wiping the sweat from my face.

"No problem, dumb ass," he said, looking at me with a ghost of a smile.

"I'm Rae," I said after a few minutes of silence, the only sounds were of the wind coming in through the broken window and the car alarm.

"Glenn."

A/N: I decided to write a Glenn Rhee fanfic because he's been bae since 2010. But mostly because I can't stand what happened on S6 Ep3.