twenty-one :: maya meets fear

MAYA'S POV:

There I was. Alone in a dark room with my worst nightmare. My heart was beating uncontrollably, and my palms were so sweaty it was hard to keep hold of the flashlight.

"Josh, what are you doing here?" I said but my voice faltered and sounded hopeless.

"I told you Maya." He said his evil voice curling into my ears, "I love you. And I can't live without you."

"What are you going to do to me?" My teeth shaked in fear and my knees became weak.

"I love you, Maya. So I have to kill you, then I'll kill myself." He said reaching into his pocket pulling out a gun.

I tensed up. Every part of my body was frozen in place. I was in complete shock.

"That's not love," I spit.

He walked towards me angrily, "Don't tell me I don't love you. I love you so fucking much Maya! Why can't you see that?" He placed his gun to my throat and tears ran down my cheeks.

"You don't hit people you love." I said, "You don't kill people you love, Josh."

His face was emotionless and lit up by a single flashlight. He was still gorgeous but he seemed tired and drained. His under eyes dark and his chin had stubble.

He lowered the gun and I let out a deep breath.

"I love you Maya. The only way to be together is if I kill you. And then I kill myself." He said. Inside his eyes he seemed like he was fighting an internal battle with himself.

"Josh. You told me you wanted to change." I stepped closer to him.

I had to do the thing that scared me most. It was the only way.

I held his face in my hands, "Change for me."

He caressed my hand, "You still love me?"

"Of course I do," I lied.

"I love you too." He responded and he dropped his gun.

"We should leave here so we can be together." I smiled at him. And he smiled back.

"We can finally be together." He repeated as he unlocked the door and we walked out hand in hand.

We escaped the dark haunted house. I searched looking for Lucas. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him. He was rushing towards me but I mouth to him 'stop!'

He looked confused.

'HELP' I mouthed back.

I looked over at Josh and sqeezed his hand.

"I missed you so much Maya." He said.

Out of no where Josh fell to the floor. Police surrounded him and put him in hand cuffs.

I stepped back and covered my mouth in shock. Tears were flowing down my face like a river.

A police man who was holding Josh asked me, "Is this man a threat to you?"

Josh tried to get out of the cop's hands but ultimately failed, "Maya- tell him you love me and we will be together."

I looked back up at the police officer.

"He belongs in jail." I told the cop.

He nodded and dragged Josh out the door. Josh was screaming horrible things to me like "You bitch! I'm coming back for you!" and "This isn't over!"

Lucas hugged me and I cried in his arms. Hopefully this time Josh is gone for good.

This are going to change. I'm a danger to Lucas. As long as Josh is looking for me- he could hurt Lucas too. And I don't know what I would do if Lucas were to get hurt because of me.

I was stunned and numb to everything happening around me. The yelling and screaming along with the sirens all sounded dull to me. Everyone was tuned out. It was only me. Only me against the world.

"Maya!" Lucas tried to pull me out of my trance.

I looked up at him and tried to express how I felt. His green eyes poured into mine. I tried to tell him everything I was feeling. I felt congested and stuck. I felt as if this battle will never end. It was deep and dark and something I haven't felt in a long time.

-

LUCAS' POV:

Maya was in complete shock. I carried her home after she fell asleep in the car. Our home. It had a pretty nice ring to it- the Friar-Hart home.

I was awake reading while Maya was on the other side of the bed sleeping. I watched her yawn as her eyes fluttered open.

"Lucas." She said. Suddenly something clicked and her ocean eyes opened wide. She stood up and was pacing across the room.

I got up and stood next to her. I placed my hand on her shoulder, "What's wrong?"

Maya looked at me with the same look she gave me after the cops took Josh away. She seemed so lost. And then again, I know exactly how she feels.

"I don't want to hurt you Lucas." She said and my heart broke to pieces.

"Why would you hurt me?" I said trying to comfort her.

"As long as Josh is looking for me- he's looking for you too." She said.

My baby girl was strong, but she doesn't need to be alone anymore.

"He's in jail now, Maya. Nothing is going to happen to you." I tried to convince her.

She shook her head, "He has his ways Lucas! What if he gets released on parole ?"

Maya's eyes were filled with true fear.

"We don't know what he's capable of doing." She worriedly said, "I can't be with you anymore Lucas. I put you in danger."

"Maya- I'm trying to protect you!" I defended myself.

"You didn't see the way he looked at me!" She yelled, "You didn't see the way he held a gun to my head. Or the creepy way he talked about his love for me. It was bad Lucas."

"Let me help you-" I was cut off before I could finish.

"We're over Lucas- and that's final." Maya looked be straight in the eyes, "It's what's best."

"Don't you love me?" I tried to win her back.

"God!" She said frustratedly, "I love so damn much I'm leaving becuase I don't know what I would do without you!"

"I'll come with you!" I suggested.

She shook her head, "I don't want you to follow me, or come with me."

"Maya please." I started to cry. She looked away from me, she couldn't stand the sight of me crying.

"It's over, Lucas."

Bang. Her words were like a gun shot to my heart. And I was officially dead.

A/N: thank you sooo much for 20k! also do you guys want this one book to be long, or have a sequel? idk i just feel like i could do a lot with these characters and their storylines! (especially farkle and riley) -katie

PS : sorry for the cliffhanger. ;)