~1~

Chapter 1

Waking up for school, starting a new day.

A new day, and fresh start to make it better.

Not for Maya.

A new day of abuse, labor, and just more pain.

Everyday she thinks she is getting stronger, but little does she know that she is breaking inside. Her heart is shattering, bruises more noticeable, more lies to tell, more hurting herself and the people around her.

Her mother isn't around, her mother's boyfriend is abusive.

"Maya! Get down here and make me some fang breakfast!" Randy, her mother's boyfriend, yelled. Maya sighed knowing he was drunk again.

"Satan calls me." she thought in her head. She threw on her black jacket, ACDC shirt, shorts, and black tights under the short. Her hair was down today as usual. She forced herself downstairs and was automatically hit in the face.

"Get to work." he growled. Maya just nodded and made an easy breakfast. Randy fell asleep on the couch while she slaved over the stove.

She threw his breakfast on a plate and ran upstairs. She checked her cheek and saw a bruise forming. She sighed and covered it up with foundation. Then slid on her black boots and snuck out the window to her best friend Riley's house.

-

"Sup losers?" Maya asked and she, for once, came in through the door.

"What? Maya coming through the door." Mr. Matthews put his hand over his heart.

"Decided to try something new. Don't get use to it. 7 Riles, let's go." Maya told them and they left for school.

-

Maya threw her books into her locker without a care.

"Maya they're going to break." Riley sighed at her careless best friend. Maya shrugged.

"Ok." she said and slammed her locker. They both walked into their homeroom class and their other two best friends, Farkle and Lucas, were waiting. They all smiled when they saw each other and took their seats.

"Ok, projects." Mr. Matthews clapped his hands together. Riley and Maya smiled at each other.

"No, no, no, no." he said.

"Hey!" Riley, Maya, Lucas, and Farkle yelled.

"Maya, Lucas. Riley, Farkle." he read off his paper. Maya groaned and turned around.

"Howdy." Lucas tipped his imaginary cowboy hat.

Maya could already tell this is going to feel eternal.

A/N: So you will see what happened to Shawn, but not yet.

Thanks for reading! Please vote!

What do you think of the book?