Chapter 17

Ch.17

A couple weeks later Dean had repaired minuscule parts of his shattered relationship with Alannah. Though it was still extremely complicated, and it seemed as if every step forward inflicted three paces in the opposite direction. The painstakingly slow process of mending their once sturdy bond began to take a toll on the two of them.

For Alannah, sometimes she could swear that when she would converse with any human being Dean would tense up and shuffle closer to her. Not that she didn't appreciate it; actually it was the inverse. That existed as one of the occurrences that she had missed dearly. The mere inches separating his hand from hers started to thin to the width of a spider web, and so did her patience. She practically felt the heat spilling out of the pores of his skin every single time he brushed beside her, causing a shudder to echo inside of her. This disease seemed to infect every cell in her body, manipulate every muscle, and shape her every thought. A sensation of need for him flourished within her being and grew larger as the seconds without his touch accumulated. Something as simple as interlacing their fingers, or entering a laggard kiss would suffice; his lips slathered on hers like honey, a sickeningly sweet delicacy.

But they had not even stepped near that level.

As of now, Sam, Alannah, and Dean were rumbling down an old dirt road; coming back from a case involving a sort of zombie who almost murdered Sam. The creature utilized body parts from other individuals to sustain his own life. It's grotesque features were enough to send them hurling, but Sam looked into it to save Dean. This is what showed how frantic the younger brother actually was.

Of course, Dean had declined this offer immediately; explaining that he did not desire to live that type of continuance. He imagined as adorning the sagging skin of a beast he hunted.

Meanwhile, the lead on Bela's whereabouts derived from Bobby had  evoked the realization that she had made a deal with a demon years prior. In the beginning they just yearned to retrieve the Colt from her clutches, but the present situation created an impeccable plot twist.

Dean's voice was rigid and cold as he spoke to her, "I'll see you in hell."

He had called her four minutes ago to smother her with the success at discovering her atrocious secret like a child winning a bet.

Alanna's squirmed uncomfortably in the backseat as Bela's crackling sobs muffled in through the cellular device. Pity grew like a weed inside of her body and bloomed when she desperately asked for their aid and was denied by Dean. Half of her wanted to snatch the phone from him and promise that they would do anything to help her, but she was already gone.

Although this moment was bittersweet, even though Bela lost her life they finally figured out who held Dean's contract.

Hope flowered inside of Alannah and she started to think that there was possibly a chance where Dean could live.

And they could start over.

As the space in the Impala fell silent, the girl knotted a tendril of hair between her fingers; twirling it right and left, a nervous habit she picked up from her mother. If Dean was not broken from his settlement what would happen to hers and Sam's life? The younger Winchester would probably go on his own road after a few months of intense grieving, and they might only meet up again due to crossing paths on a hunting trip.

As for Alannah, this scenario had replayed on her mind like a broken record. Although, every time the outcome could never be reached. She truly did not know how she would cope without him. Yes, those few months when they had not spoken were hard and she somewhat figured out a way to move on, but he was still breathing.