XIV

Start

Six years have passed in the blink of an eye, there were still five days left before the banquet of my birthday. I woke up very early today. There was going to be a ceremony and I did not want to seem rude if I did not arrive on time. It was a good thing I had already chosen my outfit the day before so that I would not take too long in dressing up.

The ladies-in-waiting were also ready and helped me change after I had taken my bath. I would have liked to change myself but there were some formalities I could not alter and that included being assisted as I dressed into my chosen clothes. My long, unruly red hair was tied into a low ponytail and adorned with a simple hair accessory.

I looked at the full body mirror and did a twirl to see if I looked alright. I nodded in satisfaction and proceeded to head to the courtyard. My walk was silent and as I neared closer to my destination, I could hear Father's voice.

"Our Kingdom of Kouka is a small nation surrounded by powerful nations..."

I couldn't help but let out a sigh. Great, I'm still late. If Reborn was here, he would have surely beaten me within an inch of my life or tortured me or something... I should hurry up. I thought. As I ascended the steps, I saw Hak standing guard at the side together with someone else. "Where's the princess?" He asked.

"It seems she's still getting ready..." His companion responded.

"I see...Because he's coming - "

"Who's coming?" I cut him off before he could say anything else. The guard jumped in surprise at my sudden appearance. I grinned and patted Hak's shoulder. "Good morning, Hak!" I cheerfully greeted him. "Sorry I'm late."

"Morning, princess." He greeted in his usual nonchalant manner. Then a sudden thought occurred to me. "Oh, I should probably get going." I said to the two as I walked calmly to the side of my father.

Father beamed at the sight of me. "I welcome you my daughter, Yona!" The crowd cheered. "She will be sixteen years old soon." He continued."I pray that, under the divine protection of Hiryuu, the king of old, the peace in this nation will last for all eternity!"

The crowd started cheering as a guard started beating the drums. What a festive atmosphere! I thought as I smiled to the people and thanked them for coming to the ceremony. Unknown to my own self, my smile had brightened when I looked at Hak.