Chapter 6

I didn't sleep last night.

My eyes stayed open all night on high alert waiting for another attack from Xander.

Xander slept soundly facing me almost as if he was watching me in his sleep. In the thick darkness of the room I couldn't tell if his eyes were actually closed. The sounds of his heart beat lightly thumping were a confirmation that he was actually asleep.

The clock struck nine and I knew Xander had to be getting up soon. There was a bathroom on my side of the bed and if I locked myself in it that would hold him off.

I was dreading the moment Xander would wake up. I didn't want to have that awkward conversation about last night.

I know we didn't do anything. Well I didn't do anything last night. I was just scared. Scared of his reaction.

I rolled off the bed slowly trying not to wake Xander up.

"You know, you underestimate how naive I am." Xander said making my heart stop.

I bolted towards the bathroom glad Xander hadn't tried to stop me.

I sighed locking the door sliding down the door sighing. I closed my eyes welcoming the drowsiness. Just as I started to drift off a light tapping woke me up.

"I find apologies useless, but." Xander paused on the opposite side of the door.

"I'm.....sorry I caused you any sort of distress." He sounded almost pained to apologize.

I didn't hear any other sound I was almost worried until I heard a heavy sigh from the opposite side of the door. The sound was closer to where my head was. Xander probaly was in the same position I was on the floor.

"When I was young, my mother once explained love to me, I didn't appreciate the conversation then, but I do now." Xander said nostalgia thick in his voice.

"She said love is when it comes naturally, you start to think with your heart instead of your head." Xander said I heard what sounded like him holding back tears.

"You miss her a lot?" I asked stupidly.

"Do you miss your siblings a lot?" He asked I could hear him holding back a sob.

"Does it get better, missing them?" I asked tears of my own leaking "does missing them ever get better?"

"No." He said honestly "thousands of years and it hasn't gotten better it never will, the pain dulls over time, but it's still there, always there a hole in my heart that will never be repaired."

My tears flowed more easily now. I found myself not only crying for Rafi and Abella but for Xander also.

"When I get married I'll be King."Xander admitted.

The tears flowed harder at his admittance, once he decided to stop postponing his wedding he'll be king with a queen.

"We're in the middle of a war which could continue for years until the ruling family tires of the witches attacks and kills there entire race, I won't be king until a very long time."

Selfishly I felt better at that. These emotions that I had for Xander they scared me. I had loved people before. The love I had for siblings couldn't be compared to the emotions I had for Xander.

"You make me feel wierd." I said opening up as he was.

"You make me feel wierd as in I like you, and I shouldn't feel like this towards you I just lost my siblings." I said choking on a sob rambling.

"It's ok to feel other emotions than pain, it's ok." Xander said quietly.

"How would you know?"

"After she died, my mom after she died, I'd find myself in a situation where I experienced happiness, I'd punish myself for feeling anything but the loss of my mother, I thought I was forgetting her, I wasn't, I was accepting that I'd never see my mother again, I wasn't betraying her I was accepting I could never replace, but I could open my heart to new emotions."

I closed my eyes banging my fist on the cold tile I felt horrible for making him talk about his mother. I was usually sarcastic and cool headed. I hadn't meant to break down like this.

"I'm so sorry." I whimpered feeling extremely tired all of a sudden.

I got up slowly unlocking the door moving to the side. Xander was still sitting on the floor his back was twisted so he could look up at me.

His blue eyes were puffy with red around the rims. I got down on my knees Xander watched me curiously tears were still leaking out steadily from my eyes.

I moved closer to Xander using my knees to get closer. He was a little bit lower than me because he was sitting regularly as I was on my knees. He tilted his head up at me looking like a lost puppy. I'm sure he saw me the same way.

I grabber his ponytail slipping the hair tie off his silky black hair throwing it the ground. His eyes were wide with curiousty but he made no move to stop me.

I ran my fingers through the silky black locks smiling lightly tears dripping down my face. I put my knee in between his legs moving closer.

I continued to run my hands through his hair. Xander closed his eyes his tears stopped awhile ago. The evidence still on his face.

I stopped running my fingers through Xanders hair he looked at me sadly.

"You're not betraying them by feeling another emotion then pain." Xander whispered soothingly.

"You have a fiancée."

"She's gonna be pissed when I break off the thousand year engagement." I could hear the smile in Xanders voice.

A thought clicked in my head and felt incredibly sick.

"Are you using me just to call off your engagement. " I said trying to move away from Xander who just tightened his grip.

Xander seemed to not be very fond over the woman. So any excuse to break up with her would be a god send.

"Why is your perception of me so inaccurate?" He questioned sounding hurt "and to answer your question, no I'm not using, I won't marry a woman who've I've known for thousands of years and have no connection with, when I know there's a purebred who I've known for two days and have feelings for."

"I'm sorry." I said quietly.

"Stop apologizing, apologies mean nothing if you continue to do the same thing, if you apologize make sure to correct your mistake, don't say sorry because your conscious needs to be cleared."

I made a mental note to not apologize to Xander again.

"Did you mean what you said about liking me?" Xander asked with a slight insecurity in his tone.

Did I like Xander?

Yea maybe I did but my siblings were just taken and to feel this way was selfish to them.

"You're not betraying them by feeling another emotion then pain."

"Yea I like you, in a non slave master kinda way." I said adding the joke to lighten the heavy atmosphere.

"I like you too in a non master kinda slave way." Xander said making me smile.

The drowsiness came back and I drifted off into the first peaceful sleep I'd had in days.