"Sam . . ." 

"Good night, Luke." She quickly lay down, switched off her light and turned her back to him. 

"Sam!" She was taken aback when Luke suddenly sat on her side. He switched the light back on and peeled off her blanket to see her face. 

"Listen to me," he begged. 

Sam snatched her blanket back and covered her suddenly warm eyes. She slammed herself back to the mattress, frustrated by herself. "Go away," she mumbled. 

"Hey . . ." He tried to pull her hands away from her face, but she resisted. 

"Sam, I am sorry," he said softly to her ear. His hand rubbed her back in a shooting motion. 

"Don't touch me. Just go away!" Sam yelled under her blanket. 

"She's addicted to drugs. I was just trying to help. Yes, we kissed. She told me she still has feelings for me. She doesn't have anyone right now, and if I pushed her away, she will fall deeper into drugs. I wanted to talk her out of it so she could go to rehab. I went to her apartment few times so I could talk to her." 

Sam cried harder. She didn't care anymore about what Luke's going to think about her, but his last words about him seeing Alicia outside work without her knowing triggered a strange feeling inside her heart, just like a million needles had stabbed her chest, and it hurt like hell. She never had this experience before. Her brain tried to figure it out, but it couldn't give her a satisfactory answer. She tried to stop her tears, but they only flowed harder.  

She felt his arm scoop her body up and brought her into his embrace. She tried to fight back, but he was just too strong for her. He pulled her head down to his chest, wrapped her body tightly against his, and rocked her back and forth. 

"I am sorry . . . I am sorry . . ." She could hear him whispering to her ear. She sobbed loudly. She still tried to move away from him, but she didn't have the strength; her muscles were simply too tired to be stressed for too long. She was feeling hot and sweaty; her breathing was heavy. She hiccupped few times, and she finally gave in. She pulled herself into his arms and cried. 

Luke closed his eyes in dismay. How on earth could he be that stupid? He was confused, he wanted to tell her how he felt about her, but her closeness toward Manuel made him hesitate. He almost gave up on her, and honestly, he felt something jolt inside his heart when he met Alicia. He let her kiss him, he wanted to know that he was already over her, and he did. He was happy, very happy that he was finally free. 

He loved Sam; it was only her that could turn his world upside down with just a smile. His life was perfect now, even though they were pretending, but he was happy enough that he could see her beautiful face every morning and spend time with her every evening. There was nothing else he wanted in this world except the hope that Sam would never leave him. He took care of his heart and swore to give it only for Sam, yet he kissed another woman. He couldn't understand himself. A pang of guilt hit him hard, and he cringed. 

He wasn't sure why Sam was crying. He knew Sam didn't love him, or did she? He soon shook his head. He wouldn't dare guess. He had no experience with women. He had only dated once. How was he supposed to know what Sam was thinking right now? All he knew was that he had hurt her and his heart was broken into a million pieces, feeling her in his arms shaking like a terrified puppy. He gently stroked her damp hair; he didn't know what to say.  

Sam's breathing was calmer. She moved a little, and Luke quickly loosened his arms, expecting her to move away, but she stayed. She adjusted her head position. She went deeper into the crook of his neck so she could be more comfortable. She took a shuddering breath. Her fingers still clutched the blanket that was now wet from her tears.