Chapter Fourteen

Gwen’s heart pounded in her chest as he smiled over at her, it was a slow smile of recognition that started in his eyes before his lips pulled up at the corners. He didn’t move, didn’t say a word but it stole her breath; he stole her breath.

He was wearing just a waistcoat, the heat of the day had caused him to remove his coat and it made him look larger, especially when compared to his three sisters who were all still unfinished in height. His silence on the topic the girls were talking about diverted their attention and they followed his gaze.

“Miss Houghton!” Carla grinned waving as Sally jumped up to look through the crowds. “How are you, did you enjoy the dinner party last week?”

“I’m very well thank you, yes I did.” Gwen smiled as she reached them, bowing to them all before Sally attached herself to her arm. “Did you?”

“Very much so, I love dinner parties.” She admitted, “Eddy’s less of a beast when he can intimidate men from across the room.”

“Beast?” she asked looking up at him, he smirked and shrugged.

“I love.” He stated simply and Gwen’s nerves almost came free of her body. “Would you care to join us as we shop Miss Houghton?”

She smiled and took the offered arm as the girls darted about before them, Sally holding both her sisters hands. Edward placed a warm solid hand over hers on his arm as they walked, she was tucked close to his side; closer than was proper, but she couldn’t say no.

“I’m finding Leicestershire very enticing.” He mused as they stepped into the modiste where Carla’s new dress was being made. “Would you advise me to purchase a house here Gwen?”

“It depends on you, Sir.” Her voice wasn’t as strong as she’d hoped, “How much do you like the area?”

“I’m more than taken, quite fallen in love.” He stated before nodding as Carla held up a pair of gloves for his approval. “Are you and Mr White engaged, Lizzie is quite unsure on the matter and I admit I’m no clearer.”

“No.” she stated quickly, before blushing as he grinned at her eagerness. “Charlie and I are just friends, nothing more.”

“Miss Houghton, this would suit you; it would make your hair like a fiery sunset!” Lizzie called back, holding a royal blue ribbon up, “Don’t you think Eddy?”

“Very much so.” He smiled releasing her hand and letting her escape.

Gwen’s fingers shook slightly as she felt the double satin of the ribbon in Lizzie’s hands; it was surely an expensive strip of material. But then again, they were nobility and rarely though of the price of such simple items.

A soft wrapping sounded at the window, Gwen span and sighed in relief as Charlie stood waving at them. “Sorry, I’m expected at home. Charlie was just finishing up business.”

“Goodbye Miss Houghton!” the girls’ chorused before she passed Edward, his hand caught hers and pressed a kiss against it without a word.

“You’re red Gwen.” Charlie smirked as they sat back upon his barouche, “Are you sure about him?”

“No, I haven’t been less sure about anything in my life.” She sighed pulling her bonnet off as they left the city limits and barrelled towards home. “Lord, he just sets everything into overdrive. I can’t look at him without feeling it everywhere.”

“Even in your toes?” he teased and she shuddered.

“My toes, along the soles of my feet and my armpits.” She stated dramatically, “Is that a good sign?”

“I have no idea Gwenny, I’m unmarried too.” He shrugged, “We’ll find out one day I’m sure.”

“I need a nap.” She yawned resting her head on his shoulder, “Town tires me.”

“Me too, but I’ve got to work.” He stated a bit miffed.

“Ah, I’m on holiday and normally do work so leave me alone.” She laughed with a yawn.

---

Edward ran the length of ribbon between his fingers; he’d left the girls sitting in a tea room while he nipped out so they couldn’t giggle and whisper.

“And this ribbon wrapped around them sir?” the florist asked, her eyes falling on the richly coloured ribbon.

“Please, she’ll understand.” He smirked passing it over, the orange blooms standing perfectly against the dark greens and blues.

“Here’s the card, would you like to write it?” she smiled passing him the small card and a quill loaded with ink. With a smile he scribbled down a few sentences, folded it and sealed it within the envelope. “She’s one lucky lady, Sir; I’ve never thought orange and blue would go quite so beautifully together.”

“I was inspired.” He smirked paying and leaving to find his sisters again.

“Maria should be having the baby soon.” Carla stated suddenly as Eddy bit into a scone, “What do you think she’ll have a boy or a girl?”

“I think she should have a girl, that way she’ll come out the same year as Anna and they can be friends.” Lizzie stated thoughtfully, “But another nephew would be cute too!”

“I want to play with the new baby.” Sally grinned, “I miss Anna; she’s annoying but nice.”

“I’m sure she misses us too.” Eddy grinned happy with the events of today so far.

“Where did you go anyway?” Lizzie asked, “It looked like you went back to the modiste.”

“Did it?” he asked pulling a face, “That’s interesting.”

“Eddy!” they whined at the same time, causing a few people to turn and look at them.

“Yes?”

“Will you tell us eventually?” Carla asked and he smirked.

“You’ll more likely see this Wednesday.” He shrugged and the all frowned, “Did I forget to mention Mrs Cliff has invited us for dinner again? Apparently you three make her feel young again.”

Three identical grins hit him head on, he laughed as Sally patted his hand. “Are you going to make Gwen fall in love with you?”

“I’m going to make her want to marry me.”