Chapter Two

Edward grinned down at Carla as they stood in a receiving line a week after his home coming; Elsie and Maria were with their husbands before them, waiting their turn to greet the hosts and to be introduced. As they waited, Carla grew nervous and started to bite her nails through her gloves; Maria turned around as if she had eyes in the back of her head and batted her with her fan.

“Pack it in, those won’t last the night otherwise.” She hissed through her society smile.

“What are you so worried about?” Edward asked catching her hand and pulling it down to her side after their sister’s words.

“There are some women in there who are cruel and they like to pick at me.” She whispered, “Ever since the first ball, they just took one look at me and started to whisper and giggle.”

“I can’t challenge them to a duel, but I can ignore them.” He grinned down at her, “What did they say Carly?”

“They said I was ugly and that I looked like I’d rolled around in the mud all my life. Then started on mama’s accent, saying I should go back to Wales and find a farmer where I belong.” Edward frowned, knowing they were cruel words but not feeling insulted himself.

“I always thought women who are really pale look about ready to drop dead.” He stated loudly, “And that blonde hair, it’s not that attractive either.”

“Edward!” she hissed as people started to turn to listen to him.

“It’s true, why would I want to marry a woman I’d be scared was going to disappear if the sun got too strong. But then I suppose I could ignore her if she blended into the walls behind her. I want a bright beauty with thick dark or red hair and freckles all over her, not a withering English rose.”

“That will be all around the ball in a matter of minutes.” Carla hissed at her brother, looking terrified. “They’ll say something to be for sure.”

“And I’ll be right there to say it all over again and even point out examples of true beauty.” He shrugged as they moved to the front of the line.

“Mr Edward Cartwright and Miss Charlotte Cartwright.” The butler announced and Edward paused, turning to the servant.

“It’s Carla.” He whispered and the butler apologised before correcting himself.

“Sorry, Miss Carla Cartwright.” 

“I can’t believe you did that.” She hissed blushing bright red as people watched them join the party below. “Everyone knows who I am now.”

“That’s what I was aiming for.” He grinned as two blonde ladies came over, giggling to one another.

“Carla, how are you darling.” They simpered, ignoring her completely as they looked up at Edward through their eyelashes, “Introduce us to your brother.”

“Edward, this is Miss White and Miss Parker.” Carla stated keeping her eyes on his chin.

“Pleasure.” He smiled bowing his head.

“Is it true Mr Cartwright that you think English Rose’s aren’t to your tastes?” Miss White asked, with a look that said, I can make you think again.

“Of course, Welsh daffodils are much more to my taste, or a Scottish bloom.” He grinned and their mouths dropped open, “Excuse me ladies, but I’ve promised my sister the first dance.”

“Edward, how do you do that?” Carla laughed looking back to where the two misses were still standing completely gobsmacked, “I thought for sure they were going to giggle over you all night.”