Chapter Ten

Can anyone spot the Pride and Prejudice reference?

Enjoy guys Xxx

~~~~~~

Being in Leicestershire was definitely the right place to be, Charlie was keeping her company when Aunt Sylv couldn’t and indeed she’d missed him. She’d not even realised how much until they’d slipped back into their childhood roles once more. She’d been back for almost two weeks and they’d finally made that call to Henrietta Marsh to satisfy her morbid curiosity about her looks.

Gwen’s lips couldn’t possibly pinch themselves together any tighter, she turned to Charlie who was sitting with his eyes shut and the teacup paused at his lips, completely asleep. She jabbed a long finger into his side jerking him awake, he glared before turning and smiling at Henrietta Marsh, now Stone.

“Of course, we dine with four and twenty families I daresay you barely know anyone in London Miss Houghton?” she sighed sounding sincere, but her eyes were like ice.

“By all means Mrs Stone, only last week we dined with Sir Cartwright and his family; including the Marquis of Rutland.” She smiled enjoying ruffling the woman’s feathers. “I am quite attached to his sister Sally, we are extremely close.”

“Really?” Charlie asked in a drawl stirring the waters.

“Indeed Mr White, I’ll be writing to her this evening and will expect a prompt reply.” Gwen smiled honestly, Charlie would love it when he found out Sally’s only four.

“Well you and your aunt must come over for dinner one evening, Mr White you’re more than welcome too.” She smiled eyeing Charlie with a knowing look. “You’re looking well.”

“Thank you, I’m sure it’s Gwen’s influence she won’t let me rest if I’m not working I’m entertaining her.” He sighed turning to look over at her, “We always have got along famously.”

“Hmm, I remember you walking back through the village soaked to the bone; I’d never allow my daughter to do such a thing.” Henrietta stated throwing her nose higher into the air.

“No, I was lucky to escape a chill.” Gwen smiled knowingly, “But having fun is always worth it.”

“And we always had fun, it’s such a shame you weren’t allowed to join us.” Charlie stated with a sigh, “We could have been bosom buddies.” 

“Hmm.” Mrs Stone shrugged turning to the door where her oldest niece had just come running in, “Yes Elizabeth?”

“There’s a huge carriage passing through, it’s got a crest and everything.” She gushed before turning to see Charlie there; he flashed her a grin making her blush before she turned back to her aunt, “We should go for tea at the inn just to see.”

“Well of course child!” she exclaimed standing up and throwing her tea back down to the tray, “Miss Houghton, Mr White will you join us?”

“We’ve planned to go for a horse ride.” Charlie stated standing up.

“I will save you the courtesy of asking, I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the two of you if I had a team of four.” She stated, “Now Lizzie, let me get my best coat and bonnet.”

“We’ll have to walk past the inn to get home.” Gwen stated as Charlie donned his hat, “Let’s hope we catch at least one look at the nobs.”

“I thought your best friend was the sister of a baronet?” he smirked and she shrugged.

“Sally’s four, she’s perfectly innocent.” She grinned as he laughed loudly.

Gwen smiled as they walked; all the young ladies simply couldn’t take their eyes off of Charlie and then they’d see her and quickly dart away thinking she must be his wife. The inn was at the end of the village, further down the lane was Aunt Sylv’s house separated by a few hundred yards.

Charlie turned and stretched to look in the windows of the inn, but shook his head as he turned down to Gwen, “Nothing, not a single lady to sweep me off my feet.”

“Five more years Charlie and we’ll be married, remember?” Gwen teased making him grin with a nod. “Who would have thought we’d be this close?”

“I thought you’d have gone once you hit London, you’re beautiful Gwen.” He stated Gwen rolled her eyes at him as they passed the inn and turned down the drive to Aunt Sylv’s. “I don’t mind being your fall back plan, at least I like you.”

“Thanks Charlie, really romantic of you.” She laughed pinching his arm as they were greeted by the two dogs.

---

Edward looked down at his brandy and silently cursed himself, he’d finished it again; Carla stood in his way as he moved to top up the glass. “This isn’t good Eddy, when did you start drinking so much?”

“I don’t know if you noticed Carla, but I’ve had a lot thrown at me recently.” He snapped, watching his sister’s face drop, “It’s not you, any of you; I’m just stressed.”

“Lord Rutland offered to take us on, why did you say no if it’s so hard?” she asked and his mouth dropped open ready to question, “I heard him offer, I wanted to talk to you but you were obviously busy.”

“We can go and stay with someone for the summer if you want Eddy, we understand.” She stated quietly before moving back to her embroidery by the window.

“Eddy, I need another envelope.” Sally said from the desk, he turned to look at her with a frown.

“This is the third envelope this week, who are you writing too?”

“My best friend.” She stated sticking her nose in the air and folding the paper over to keep him from seeing her childish scrawl. “We’ve a correspondence.”

“Really?” he teased, “Does she tell you anything interesting?”

“My best friend is very interesting.” She stated keeping her nose in the air.

“What did I do Sally, I thought you loved me?” he teased with a pout.

“You made Gwen go away.” She stated making everything fall silent, Lizzie and Carla watching for the next move. “She said you didn’t even ask her to marry you and I know neither of you are telling me the entire story.”

“What do you want me to say Sally, some things are just impossible to make work.” He sighed catching her little hand in his.

“She was crying before I saw her, she doesn’t sound very happy in her letter’s either they’re all about things she’d think I’d like and not about her feelings… Apart from a girl she used to know called Henrietta who used to pick on her but is now fat.”

“You have been a beast since she left Eddy, did you do something bad?” Lizzie asked quietly, sitting on the seat beside him, “She was good company and didn’t make me feel like a little girl though I am one.”

“I didn’t do anything.” He shrugged and Carla sighed dramatically.

“That’s the problem, Miss Houghton can’t suggest anything. Eddy you’ve got to be the one to put your neck on the line and ask her, or kiss her or something.”

“I tried to kiss her and she told me not to.” He muttered and Lizzie giggled.

“I think we should go on holiday to Leicestershire.” Carla grinned, “I’ve heard there are some lovely places; rent a house in the country, travel into the city for tea or to the other attractions.”

Edward laughed in disbelief as Carla pulled out a sheet from the newspaper with details about Leicestershire on it. “You knew all along why I was a beast.”

“Of course we did, she’s ever so pretty Eddy.” Lizzie laughed.

“And not a wilting rose either.” Carla grinned passing the papers to Eddy who had Sally firmly on his lap overseeing his choices.