Tell Me What You See

"Wake up little one." I giggled, stroking Paul's forehead, pushing back his soft moptop back into his old teddy boy style.

I was quite triumphant that I'd managed to wake up before him for a change, and see how adorable he was when he was asleep. All nestled up with his arms around me, his thick lashes against his under eye as he lay with his eyes shut tight.

"Wake up little Paulie." I sang again, pinching his cheek gently.

He mumbled and groaned, but soon enough, his little lashes began to batt as he woke himself up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes as he rose from the ground.

"Did you sleep well?" I teased him, resting my palm on his shoulder.

"Very." He smiled, brushing his hair back down to flop over his eyes with his fingers. "But I think we're meeting John and that in Penny Lane, so we'd best get a move on."

Paul was already scrambling from the ground to wake himself up, flipping his bed head back into its general style, and brushing the dirt from his clothes.

"What's your hurry?" I laughed, clutching his shoulder, and sitting him back down beside me on the check blanket.

"We have plans." He smiled mischievously, resting his palm firmly against the ground and leaning against it comfortably.

"Plans?" I repeated.

He simply nodded and winked sweetly before standing up again, and offering his hands to help me up also. And so, without a second glance back, we left out little den, hopeful to return again someday as our time there had been pleasant.

***

Soon enough, Paul and I arrived in Penny Lane, and hand in hand, strolled through its desolate streets where we found John, George, Pete, Emily, Pete's girlfriend, and Lizzie.

"Why are you sitting out in the cold?" Shivered Paul through his frosty breath.

"Why not? It's quiet out here for once so why not make the most of it Macca?" Scorned John earnestly, who was sat between Lizzie and Pete. "Now take a seat."

Paul sat down beside Pete's auburn-haired girlfriend, who introduced herself as Cindy, and kindly pulled me up a chair beside him.

Opposite me sat Emily, who's eyes flickered from contact with mine, to Lizzie, which was no help whatsoever as to why she was present at the table.

"You do okay with that blonde after the fireworks last night John?" Asked Paul, stirring up conversation for the oddly quiet table.

It seemed everyone was far too taken aback by Lizzie to make any contribution to the 'discussion', as everybody had wandering eyes, all caught up in distraction. Em and I were far from the conversation also, as Emily was still trying to stealthily to get her message across to me through extreme eye contact.
Em, George by her side, wedge in between Emily and Lizzie, eyed both Lizzie and John sharply, though she were trying desperately to point out the obvious to me, as it seemed everybody else had sussed it out but Paul and I.

"Ahah oh Macca." Cackled John, profoundly amused by Paul's 'idiotic' question.

"What?" Chuckled Paul awkwardly, scratching his head in bewilderment.

Nobody answered him, and keeping to themselves, everybody began casually playing with, if not their hands, their hair, leaving the conversation once again, in deadly silence. Paul nudged me lightly, shaking his head in confusion, in hope I were to be of help; his guess was as good as mine by this point.

George put his arm around Em considerately, pulling her close, as though to warm her up from the frosty air. And following George's example, came Pete who did the same. I suppose, if no one was prepared to stir up discussion, attending to your partner was the way to go.

I watched Em and George, unable to prevent a wide smile on my face from forming. I was beyond ecstatic to see Emily so happy with George; to finally be with someone of her own, as opposed to having to put up with Paul and I constantly around the clock. However, as soon as Emily caught my glance again, her eyes darted for John like daggers. It was then I realised.

Between the laps of John and Lizzie were their entwined fingers; John's thumb stroking the back of her hand comfortingly, much like Paul would to me.

John, obviously quite pleased at how naive Paul had been reacting towards the two, wore a smug grin on his countenance, as he rocked back and forth on his chair nonchalantly, surprising his laughter as he watched Paul in his oblivious state.

With one of my freezing palms, I pressed it against Paul's engaging face, pulling it closer to mine, until I could feel his warm breath against my rosy cheek. Optimistic it was the just beginning of yet another kiss, Paul beamed mischievously, resting his nose against mine seductively.

"You chilly?" He whispered, condensation appearing from the cold within every one of his words, as he began to tuck the rim of my scarf into the collar of my snug, winter coat playfully.

"Their hands." I whispered silently, having now pulled him close enough to tell him discreetly. Clutching his hand in my spare to demonstrate, the endearingly oblivious sweetheart glanced at John and Lizzie, only to have the colour flood from his face in shock.

"She's the blonde from last night!?" He cried, rising from the table abruptly in fury. "You're with Lizzie now?!"

"And it only took you this long to figure it out Sherlock." Mocked John, pretending to check the watch of which he did not posses on his wrist.

Paul, lost for words, stood gobsmacked at the sight of the two, and so, with much force, I pulled him back down into his seat.

"She's a nice bird, and we really hit it off Macca." Continued John, more relaxed than ever, yet, very amused and overwhelmed with triumph that he'd finally managed to push Paul's buttons again.

"But you said it yourself how much you-" Began Paul, who then cut himself off after receiving a sharp and piercing look from John.

Paul was very much like a younger brother to John, just as John were an older one to him, as it seemed Paul knew when he'd stepped out of line.

"Paul, won't you please just be happy for him?" I begged, able to show Paul my deepest empathy, having experienced the same.

I was well aware of the sacrifices John had made for Paul in the past, and though Paul wasn't, I was willing to help him out.

"Yeah Paul!" Smiled George, lifting the spirits of the group. "You've got your bird, John's got his, I've got mine, and even Pete has his! Everybody's happy!"

"Just be thankful you've got a girl as good as Shellie." Agreed John earnestly, giving me an approving nod of the head.

The fact that John had just complemented me for the first time in history was incomprehensible, and I could see even Emily was very taken aback by it.

Paul continued to stare at John is sheer astonishment before dropping his glance. His eyes to the floor, he took both my hands in his again, in a remorseful manner.

"I'm sorry for that." He sighed, kissing both my hands apologetically.

"Gosh, don't be silly." I laughed, freeing my hands of his custody, and clasping them to his face for a quick peck on the lips. "We've all been there before."

His face cupped in my palms, I watched as the gleam in his doe eyes returned, as he remembered something important.

"Speaking of places we've been before." He said, the sunny smile returning to his face, brightening up to foggy day. "Sorry we didn't stay too long but Michelle and I need to get going."

And so with that, up popped Paul in all suddenness, practically lifting me out of my seat in a rush to leave, with not a second more to say goodbye.

"We'll catch you later." He piped, leaving behind us the puzzled faces of our friends.