Penny Lane

Thursday and Friday, passed by like a blur, and before I knew it, it was already Saturday morning.

For the first time in forever, I actually felt the need to choose wisely about what I wore, as I was meeting Paul today. At first, I thought it was silly, I mean, Paul saw me five times a week already, and I never thought to plan my outfits then, but for some reason today felt different.

After settling on a pair of grey trousers, a white top, and some grey flats, I moved over to my next hurdle. My hair.

I stared into the dull reflection in the mirror for sometime, which was rare for me, but after much consideration, decided to leave my hair down for the day. Paul had only ever seen it tied up, so letting it flow down to my shoulders might be a nice change.

Make up was never something I'd really bothered with, so I was pretty much ready to go. I grabbed my bag, and the second I stepped out the front door, strangely enough, I could feel little butterflies fluttering about in my stomach. It began to feel like the first day of school all over again.
What I was so nervous about was beyond me.

***

As Paul and I had agreed yesterday, I met him at the top of Penny Lane around 11AM. He looked very different from his usual self. He wore a thin maroon jumper, his sleeves rolled up, a pair of old jeans, and his hair was down, covering his forehead.

"You refrained from using hair gel today I see?" I teased, brushing my fingers over the tips of his long, soft fringe.

He laughed awkwardly, running his fingers through his hair.

"I like it better this way." I said earnestly, unintentional for my compliment to seem so serious. "It's nicer when you let it down."

"I could say the same thing to you." He smiled, twirling a lock of my brown hair from my shoulder around his finger.

He stared at me a while and said nothing; we simply smiled at each other, which strangely enough, wasn't as awkward as it sounds.

"So what's the specialty of meeting at the top of Penny Lane?" I asked.

"Nothing 'special'." He said. "This is just where I always meet up with George and John. It's about equal distance from all our houses you see."

"Fair enough. Now shall we go?" I asked.

"Of course Madame." Teased Paul, offering his arm to me kindly.

***

We pondered through Penny Lane's central area, as the actual distance of it was a fair few miles long. Paul told me it had been a while since he'd had a nice walk through the streets.

"So why did you invite me down here Paul?" I asked.

"I just thought I'd show you around." He smiled. "See in there?" He pointed, indicating a small shop with a sign that read 'Tony Salvin'. "In there, the barber shows his photographs to the customers. He does a good job of them you know, finest in town."

Almost immediately after Paul had finished talking, a small fireman rushed into the shop, disturbing the barber, who was shaving away at another customer blissfully. Beside them sat a man, peeping from behind his newspaper nosily, waiting for his trim.

"He's a banker." Said Paul. "They're an impatient people."

And he wasn't wrong, for I could see the banker looking irritably back and forth from his newspaper, to the barber and the fireman, to his watch.

"Oh hi Paul!" Interposed an elderly woman from behind.

"Hi Eleanor." Smiled Paul. "It's good to see you, how have you been?"

Eleanor was a rosy and bright old woman. She was rather short, but had lovely green eyes, and curly hair.

"Well not too good actually." She frowned. "Since Bert died, it gets very lonely at times."

"That's awful." Said Paul sincerely. "I'll be sure to pop along to visit sometime soon."

"No." Cried the woman suddenly, giving Paul a gentle pat on the shoulder in gratitude. "I'm old and I can't have you wasting your life away with visits to me. I'll be alright."

And with that, she waved Paul goodbye. Paul waved back, but Eleanor admitting to her loneliness, had wiped the smile right from his face.

"Are you alright Paul?" I asked.

"Yeh, I'm fine." He said, shaking it off. "But all the lonely people, it's just not fair, y'know?."

I understood what he meant, and he was right. Eleanor was a lovely old woman, putting on a brave face, but was obviously miserable inside.

***

We continued walking, and eventually I managed to raise his spirits again. I also noticed Paul tended to wave and smile towards almost every passer by.

"How is it you seem to know everybody?" I asked him, struggling to understand.

"In Penny Lane," he smiled. "All the people that come and go, always say hello. It doesn't matter if you know them or not."

"Penny Lane is a strange place." I laughed.

We walked a little further until we reached a roundabout. Behind the shelter, near the middle of the roundabout was a nurse selling poppies for charity. Paul dug out some change from his pocket and gave it to the nurse, who gave him a sincere smile to thank him for his generosity, and two poppies in return.

"There you go." He beamed, handing me one of the poppies. "Would you like to go grab a cuppa in this cafe Michelle?"

"Alright." I smiled, playing with the poppy contentedly between my fingers, never happier to be with a boy of such charm.

***

We seated at a table by the window, in an adorable little cafe across the street from the barber's shop.

Paul had ordered us some classic, English tea, which a young girl, no older than myself brought along on a tray.

"Now tell me Michelle." He smiled blissfully, whilst stirring his tea. "Sugar?" He asked offering me a cube.

"I have plenty thank you." I peeped.

He set down the pot and began stirring his tea again.

"So where are you from?" He smiled, trying to begin our conversation over again.

"Up north."

"You have a lot of countryside up there." He said. "Do you find it hard adjusting to city life?"

I took a sip from my tea, avoiding eye contact with Paul, and stared out the window instead.

"It's hard I suppose." I said solemnly. "I miss the greenery and the gorgeous scenery the north has to offer. The city seems a little suffocating at times; a little too busy, a little too noisy."

"Hmm." He agreed insightfully, taking a sip from his tea.

We both then watched from the cafe window, as the banker finally became fed up enough to storm out the barber's shop in fury. Paul chuckled at the sight, finding him quite amusing.

"So do all of your family live up in the north then?" He asked, returning to our conversation.

"Yes." I said impassively.

"Don't you miss them?" He questioned.

"Well of course I do, but we plan to go visit them some time soon."

"The distance is so far." He said thoughtfully.

"And I get terribly travel sick." I added.

"So what are you gonna do?"

"Wait for the day that they make the trip down here, rather than me go up there." I laughed, setting down my empty cup on its saucer, lightening the dismal mood.

Paul set down his empty cup too, aware I'd finished.

"You ready to go then?" Paul smiled.

"Where to?" I queried.

"Just for a walk." He beamed, offering me his hand.