Tomorrow Never Knows

"What? What's going on?" Asked a concerned Emily as she watched my expressions of horror.

"It's Paul." I moaned, covering the bottom end of the phone. "He wants me to stay at his during the weekend!"

"How could he ask you that after everything he just put you through?" She laughed spitefully.

What was Paul thinking? How did he have the nerve to phone me up like this after the state we left things in.

"Hello? Michelle you still there?" Echoed the voice from the end of the dangling phone at hand.

"Yes yes." I replied. "Carry on."

He took a deep breath to prepare himself before continuing.

"Look, I know you need to visit your family up north this weekend, but I just thought, why go through the travel sickness and have a miserable time, when we could be getting started on our French assignment?"

I could imagine his endearing smile from the other end of the phone as he spoke. His puppy dog eyes shimmering pleadingly, and his innocent smile shining through.
It was sweet of him to have remembered all the things we'd discussed during our time at Penny Lane as well, about home, and family; now I knew he'd actually been listening to what I had to say.

"I'm not expecting you to agree to this straight away." He continued. "After everything I put you through, however, by spending the weekend with me, you'll have plenty of time to obtain those answers."

Emily, listening attentively to every detail of the conversation, nodded her head furiously, almost willing enough to snatch the phone from me, and agree to do so herself.

"Just say YES!" She mouthed repeatedly.

Though I had the fear of Lizzie hanging over my head, I also remembered the kind words George had told me just yesterday.

'Lizzie is nothing to be afraid of...'

Had been words I'd taken to heart. For some unusual reason, it was memories I'd shared with George that stuck by me the most.

"Paul?" I asked, having made up my mind.

"Yes?" Peeped his hopeful little voice.

'Don't let her push you around...'

"I'm gonna have to hang up now."

I could almost the heavy sigh about to leave his lips in disappointment.

"Oh well, if that's how you-" He began, before I interjected once again, toying with him slightly as moderate revenge I suppose.

"I'd best start packing." I smiled, twisting the wire of the phone around my finer girlishly. "See you tomorrow."