III

"Come on you guys, breakfast is ready!" Mom called.

The sleep in my eyes kept me from seeing anything, but I heard it all. Serena and Claire were walking downstairs, Dad's heavy stomp carried from the bathroom, and Alice hadn't returned. I shifted around the bed, meeting the floor when I looked up. Bones creaking in pain, and eyes dry, I slid across the floor like a phantom, even though walking the carpeted stairs, still slipping along.

"Alexis! Alice! Come on!" Mom called, unknowing that it was vain.

"Eww," she said, "who let this zombie in?"

"Funny mom."

With a smile she said, "It was wasn't it?"

Not an empty plate was on sight as I met the table, sinking into my chair with an eye roll.

"We're having pancakes," Mom cheered.

"I can see," I said.

"Well I can't tell you can, your eyes are so glued I might just have to pry them off and was them in hot water," she said, "but, if you insist, you are right. I should have known you could see."

Finally, warmth got to my face.

"There's the smile," Dad added.

"Have you by any chance seen your sister?" Mom asked, finally able to rest from her cooking slavery.

The three of us, Serena and Claire, met eyes in the center of the table, though sitting side by side to me, with me in the middle.

"I don't know," I said.

"How do you not know if you've seen your sister?" Dad joined.

"I don't know," I said.

"Girls?" Dad said, "Do you know?"

Mouths went missing.

"She snuck out," Claire said.

I met her eyes with mine, speaking through them:

Why would you do that? You know that she'll just freak out and find her, then she'll be mad at us.

Fruitless, for she only shrugged as her head shook.

"Since when?" Mom said.

"About midnight," Serena added.

"Why didn't you tell us Lexi?" Dad said.

He couldn't have forgotten it after being shared fifty times a week. I didn't care what she did, or who she did. The only reason I would ever tell would be to get back at her if she did something terrible; she does terrible things all the time, so it would have to be a monstrous crime.

"Because it's none of our business," I said.

"We're her parents Alexis," Mom said, "and yours, it's our job to make sure you're safe."

"She won't listen Mom, and you know that."

"Maybe, but you should still have said something," Dad said.

I only sighed, "Can we save this for when Serena and Claire leave?"

They looked at the two, who appeared to be startled yet confused. Afterwards we finally proceeded to eat in silence.

"OK guys, we're leaving for work," Dad said, kissing my cheek.

Mom did the same, but said, "Bye sweetheart."

"Bye Mom, Dad."

"Bye Mr. and Mrs. Spencer," Serena said.

Claire waved.