9. Moment

This one belongs to Rick Riordan :) 

The Battle of the Labyrinth Percabeth: Page 78-90 

Annabeth stood in the back of the room, rifling through old scrolls.

"Knock, knock?" I said.

She turned with a start. "Oh...hi. Didn't hear you."

"You okay?"'

She frowned at the scroll in her hands. "Just trying to do some research. Daedalus's Labyrinth is so huge. none of the stories agree about anything. The maps just lead from nowhere to nowhere."

I thought about what Quintus had said, how the maze tries to distract you. I wondered if Annabeth knew that already.

"We'll figure it out," I promised.

Her hair had come loose and was hanging in a tangled blond curtain around her face. Her gray eyes looked almost black.

"I've wanted to lead a quest since I was seven," she said.

"You're going to do awesome."

She looked at me gratefully, but then stared down at all the books and scrolls she'd pulled from the shelved. "I'm worried, Percy. Maybe I shouldn't have asked you to do this. Or Tyson or Grover."

"Hey, we're your friends. We wouldn't miss it."

"But..." She stopped herself.

"What is it?" I asked. "The prophecy?"

"I'm sure it's fine," she said in a small voice.

"What was the last line?"

Then she did something that really surprised me. She blinked back tears and put out her arms.

I stepped forward and hugged her. Butterflies started turning my stomach into a mosh pit.

"Hey, it's...it's okay." I patted her back.

I was aware of everything in the room. I felt like I could read the tiniest print on any book on the shelves. Annabeth's hair smelled like lemon soap. She was shivering.

"Chiron might be right," she muttered. "I'm breaking the rules. But I don't know what else to do. I need you three. It just feels right."

"Then don't worry about it," I managed. "We've had plenty of problems before, and we solved them."

"This is different. I don't want anything happening to...any of you."

Behind me, somebody cleared his throat.

It was one of Annabeth's half-brothers, Malcolm. His face was bright red. "Um, sorry," he said. "Archery practice is starting, Annabeth. Chiron said to come find you."

I stepped away from Annabeth. "We were just looking at maps," I said stupidly.

Malcolm stared at me. "Okay."

"Tell Chiron I'll be right there," Annabeth said, and Malcolm left in a hurry.

"Annabeth rubbed her eyes. "You go ahead, Percy. I'd better get ready for archery."

I nodded, feeling more confused than I ever had in my life. I wanted to run from the cabin...but then again I didn't.

∙☆∙

Man, the feels. I remember reading this part and squealing all those years ago... Great, I feel old. Lol, thanks for reading!!!  Man, the feels. I remember reading this part and squealing all those years ago... Great, I feel old.

Remember to →

♡ V O T E  ♡

C O M M E N T  

F O L L O W  M E

AND YOU CAN REQUEST SOMETHING FOR A ONE-SHOT!!!! 

☾ Cosmo_Cats ☽