Chapter 1: New Start With Old Memories

Start from the beginning

I drove to my workplace which is a small cafe. I work there as a manager and also sometimes as a cook. Cook is only because I love cooking. I was initially a cook there but when I started giving some new ideas to popularise this cafe, the owner promoted me to manager irrespective of my qualification. Manager post is better for me noticing it fetches me more income and good life for Ethan.

I parked in the 'employees parking only' place and got ready for yet another long day.

When I entered into the cafe, I was instantly greeted with Lucas fiercely typing orders and billing them. Isabella and Luciana were moving from one table to other to place the orders. Since it was 8 in the morning, this busy scenario was expected. Employees usually stop here to grab a cup of coffee and start a fresh day.

"Hey Lucas." I greeted him slapping my hand with his.

"Hey Bridget." Lucas greeted back trying to smile at me but failing miserably as customers were screeching at him due to the morning rush and Lucas' insufficient skills to type rapidly.

I guess we need another counter to take orders as the cafe was expanding with faster growth rate. I gazed at the customers in the cafe and was not much staggered to know that we were in need of more employees and tables for customers to sit. I should discuss about this with Mr. Martinez and employ more people before customers think the cafe is insufficient in treating its customers.

I crossed the counter and made my way into the kitchen where Marco, our chef was working on the orders wildly. I respect this 50 year old man a lot who is very passionate about his cooking and has some magic in his dishes. He also lights up a day for a person when he/she is feeling down.

"Good morning Marco" I chirped standing behind him, startling him a little. He instantly turned with a two knives in his hand ready to attack the intruder but his face features calmed from guarded to soft upon glancing at my face. I backed way two steps, my eyes widening a bit.

"God Bridget, how many times should I say not to startle me like that. Your old man could get a heart attack." he said making a horrified face. I narrowed my eyes at him with hands folded.

"I do this daily Marco, so don't blame me." I snickered at him.

"You know that the old-man forgets that daily now. don't you?" he questioned me continuing his work with the cooking.

"Yeah yeah, but that is your brain's fault and yeah what are you cooking?" I asked him trying to divert his attention from the current topic.

"Oh that! Its just the regular orders by the customers, I will be experimenting something new today afternoon though, when the cafe will not be as busy," he said sighing deeply, probably from the exhaustion he felt by cooking huge pile of food. I ran a hand through my hair noting that I have to speak to Mr. Martinez regarding expansion.

I was checking on the customers and workers when I noticed Mr. Martinez entered the cafe in all his glory. For a 42 year old man, he sure doesn't look like one. The best thing about him is, he is very easy to get along with and his Spanish accent is the best.

"Morning, Mr. Martinez." I greeted him with cheerful smile on my face when he started walking towards his tiny office which was located beside the billing counter.

"Morning, Bridget. How about we discuss in my office." He proposed motioning me to follow behind him. I was first startled but later quickly composed myself. How does this man know that I wanted to discuss matters with him? This is what classifies him different and unique.

Once we took our seat on our respective seats, I was about to start my speech but he again beat me to that.

"So maybe we should hire more, Bridget?" He questioned voicing my thoughts.