Chapter 24: Surprise Visit

Start from the beginning

"Now go on and sit down and Lance will serve you two so that you can eat."

Once the food was served, Landon and Lauren began to eat. They talked and they laughed like there was nothing wrong with the world. Lance and Laura looked on, watching how happy Landon was. It had been a while since Laura had seen her son so happy and she knew she owed it all to Lauren.

When Lauren had finished her food, she took the plate and she washed it in the sink, along with the other kitchen ware that was there. Despite the argument that she shouldn't be washing the dishes because she was the guest from Laura, Lauren ended washing everything in the sink. She also ended up doing Landon's bed and cleaning up the house. Despite all of the protests that she received, Lauren cleaned away all of the house.

Landon and Lauren were sitting in the backyard. This is where Laura kept the bench swing. And that's where Landon and Lauren were sitting.

"So...Landon. What would your dream date be like?" Lauren started.

"Well," Landon started, "I guess it would be just...well, I think it would just be hanging out, talking and maybe a picnic. What about yours?"

"Well, we'd definitely have to go to the beach. Walk around and just hang out. It would be great if we watched the sunset. It's not safe to watch the sunset, some scientists say, but it's a beautiful sight."

Lance looked away. "The last sunset I ever saw was with my dad a few days before the accident. I guess I'll never see one again."

At Landon's words, Lauren looked at him and immediately guilt overcame her. How can you talk about watching the sunsets when the guy you're talking to is blind, she thought. Nice way to ruin everything.

Sensing her discomfort, Landon turned to her and said, "Don't worry about me. I'm fine. I still remember the last sunset I saw. It's not that bad. So don't feel guilty about talking to me about your perfect date. It's natural."

Lauren looked up at Landon. In a way, she had been surprised by Landon. In all honesty, Lauren had not expected this reaction. The words that had just left his mouth were the same ones that warmed her heart a little.

'He's so nice, Lauren. He doesn't want you to feel guilty. And then you ask why you trust him.' her heart said.

Shut up, she thought to quiet her heart up.

"Your family is great, you know?" Lauren said.

"Yes, they are pretty cool." he stated simply.

"Do you ever think of having a family?" she asked.

"Yeah, I do...but-"

"But what?"

"I don't think anyone would be willing to date me."

"Oh come on. That's not true. I'm sure there will be someone that you'll be happy with." As she said these words, she thought about Landon with another girl. The thought saddened her.

"Well, even if that was true, I wouldn't be able to see her. I wouldn't be able to protect her. I would never be able to see her beautiful face at our wedding, or what our babies would look like. I'd never be able to see them grow up."

"That would be true. But you would be with them. At least they would still have a dad. At least she would still have a husband."

"You make it sounds so easy, Lauren. But the reality is that it's not."

Lauren's heart skipped a beat at the mention of her name. He had actually spoken her name!!! It was something that she wouldn't mind getting used to. But then her mind went back to what he had said after that. "You can make it easy, Landon. You can make it as easy as you want. I think it's time to stop being insecure. Your family will still love you. You're one of the reasons that they wake up every morning. If you weren't loved your wife wouldn't have married you."