Chapter Six

Chapter 6

“Damien? You live here?” I gaped.

“Yeah,” he replied. “This would be my home.”

I nodded.

“You didn’t answer my question, though. What are you doing here?” He asked, raising a brown eyebrow.

“Well, I was followed by two men in a car, and then I hit a dead end. I had no choice but to run, and eventually I ended up hanging off of the back of a boat at the dock in a very cold attempt at hiding. They left, though. Thank goodness,” I explained.

He stared at me.

“It’s not that big of a deal, really. I’m fine,” I assured him.

“They could have killed you!” He exclaimed.

“We barely know each other. Why do you care so much?”

This silenced him. He stood at the base of the stairs, staring at me.

“I don’t know,” he said truthfully. “I just do.”

He walked past the couch I was lounging on and moved into the kitchen. I heard him talking to his mom, but focused on the TV.

**********

My alarm sounded, causing me to jump out of bed and fall on the floor.

“Stupid alarm,” I hissed.

I threw on some grey skinny jeans, my converse, and my old zebra tee-shirt. I don’t know why I even bothered getting new shoes. I was very partial to my converse. I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs.

“One of the agents found your car and brought it back,” Mary said from her place at the table.

She had coffee in one hand and a newspaper sprawled on the table in front of her. Her light brown hair was all over the place.

“That’s lucky,” I replied.

“Not really. The men know what your car looks like. And what you look like. You and your car need a makeover,” she said, voice dusted slightly with humor.

“OMG! I can like, make the car pink!” I squealed in a voice somewhere between a dying pig and an airhead valley girl.

We both laughed.

“At training they are going to try and change your appearance. To be honest, it’ll probably just be your hair color and hairstyle,” she told me.

“That’s fine. My hair is boring, anyway,” I smiled.

Mary got up and handed me a bagel.

“Eat this,” she said before shoving me out the door.

“Bye, Mary!” I shouted back at her.

“See you later Skye! Be safe!”

I hopped in my car and drove to school, almost excited for training today. Yesterday it was hard work. Since I was pretty good with the gun, they moved on to physical self defense. To say I got a few bruises is a huge understatement.

Before I knew it, I pulled into the school parking lot. I proceeded towards my English class, smiling at a few new ‘friends’ I made yesterday. I constantly reminded myself not to get attached. This was only temporary.

“Skye!”

I turned to face Damien, smiling.

“Hey,” I greeted him.

“Hi. How are you feeling today?” He asked me.

“I’m feeling a lot better,” I replied.

“Do you want to hang out after school?” He looked at me hopefully.

“I can’t….I’m busy,” I told him.

“Oh, okay. What about tomorrow?”

“I’m busy after school pretty much everyday. But we can hang out this weekend! I don’t have any other friends, really. So I’ll be free. What do you want to do?” I questioned.

“I don’t care, really. I just want to get to know you. Then I’ll have a reason to care about you,” he replied.

“I didn’t mean it like that,” I said.

“No, I know. But you were still right. We barely know each other. I need a good friend. One I can trust,” he responded.

“How do you know you can trust me?”

“I guess you could call it my sixth sense. My other friends are great, don’t get me wrong. They are just-” He stopped talking.

I nodded, understanding.

“Here, give me your phone,” I commanded.

His eyebrows furrowed as he pulled it out of his pocket and handed it to me. I typed my number into his contacts and handed it back.

“Now you can call me whenever you need to talk,” I smiled.

“Has anyone told you that you are amazing?” He joked.

“Once or twice,” I replied.

We laughed and continued to English.

--------------------

IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE! Please read.

It's short, I know. Sorry! This story will not be focused on their relationship. At all. So if you want a heated romance, I suggest you go somewhere else. (That sounded mean. I mean it nicely! (: ) I think I'm going to change the sub-category to teen fiction, actually. There might still be a little bit of romance, but it won't be too much.

Speaking of changes, I'm going to change where Mary works. The F.B.I is a real and very serious portion of the US government, and I don't want to misrepresent them. Considering this story is fiction, I'll make up a fictional agency. From now on, it'll be the Agency of Criminal Investigation. The A.C.I. Not to be confused Crime Scene Investigation. (Hopefully there is no such thing as the ACI...) This agency will accept people based on skill and not age. Skye is being accepted because of her unique situation, however.

To clear up any other misunderstandings, Skye is not going to become some heartless assassin that walks around in tight leather pants with a magical gun that loads itself, shooting anyone who gets in her way. She's not a super gorgeous guy magnet with a perfect body, either. I'll describe her more later, probably during the make over chapter. Yes, Damien is attractive. No, he is not some popular player dude, or an outcast. Or a bad-a**. He's a guy, and I'm not going to put him in a category. I'm really trying to make this story interesting, different, and as realistic as possible. (Minus the whole made up agency.)

I just wanted to make that clear to everyone. REMEMBER: The ACI, not FBI! I'll go back and fix the earlier chapters. Keep in mind that this is a work in progress. :)

On a lighter note, I'd really, really like to thank anyone who has read this story and is still reading. I'd like to thank anyone who has voted, fanned or commented. It really means a lot. Those who are in my shoes probably understand exactly how much it means. I will never make you guys vote in exchange for another chapter. Or comment, or fan. It's all your choice. I'm putting my work out there because I love writing and hope others enjoy what I do. Not because I want to be #1 on the What's Hot list. That would just be an added bonus.

I'm still dedicating to the first comment. This chapter goes out to ShadowBlood. :D She also fanned, along with a few others. Which makes me INSANELY happy. I saw four new fans and I almost jumped up and down.

This Author's note was almost as long as the chapter. Maybe longer. I hope you guys actually read it...it was pretty important.

Happy reading and writing! :D Vote, Fan, or comment if you wanna.