Chapter 22: The Dawn

“Come on, Emma. It isn’t safe here,” Draco said.

 He looked at Harry, who he seemed to expect would kill them any moment. Harry stared down at Snape, the goblet full of memories in his hand. Emma shook her head and looked up at Draco through her tears.

“I can't… my dad… dead…”

“Emma, we have to go.”

“I can't leave him,” she sobbed. “I can't.”

Draco was about to kneel down next to Emma when he and Harry both jumped and tensed up; a high, cold voice spoke so close that it were as if Voldemort had reentered the room. He hadn’t, however; they realized he was speaking to Hogwarts and the surrounding areas, and everyone still fighting and those in Hogsmeade would hear him as if he were standing right next to them.

“You have fought valiantly,” said Voldemort. “Lord Voldemort knows how to value bravery. Yet,” continued the voice, “you have sustained heavy losses. If you continue to resist me, you will all die, one by one. I do not wish this to happen. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a loss and a waste.

 “Lord Voldemort is merciful. I command my forces to retreat immediately. Dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured. You have one hour.”

“Emma, come on,” Draco said.

Voldemort continued speaking, but no longer to the inhabitants of the castle and Hogsmeade; he now spoke solely to Harry. Draco turned his complete attention to Emma.

“Come on, Emma,” he said, dragging her off of her father and to her feet.

“Let me die,” she begged. “Please, just let me die.”

“Emma, look at me!” Draco said, his voice suddenly commanding.

Emma shook her head and looked down, but he put his hand under her chin and tilted her face up.

“Look at me,” he said again, more softly this time. He held her face between his hands. “I need you to listen, just for a few seconds. I can't leave you here. I can't just walk away and let you die here with him. I promised him that I would take care of you. Come with me. We will hide your father’s body and go back to the castle.”

Emma blinked a few times to get rid of the tears, and took several deep breaths before speaking.

“Draco, we can't go back.”

“Why not?”

“Draco, listen carefully to what I have to say,” she whispered, pulling Draco further away from Harry, Ron, and Hermione. “The reason Voldemort killed my father—” her voice broke, “is because he believed my father had control of the Elder Wand.”

“Well did he?”

“No. He killed Dumbledore, but he didn’t have control of the wand. Control of that wand was taken over by someone before that. Someone who disarmed Dumbledore that night on the tower.”

Emma brought clothing to Draco in the Hospital wing. He had been recovering from his wounds caused by Harry’s curse still. Emma hurried upstairs, as the hour was getting late and they had an obligation to take care of.

Emma found Draco awake, staring at the ceiling. She sat down on the edge of his bed and handed him the clothes. He swung his legs around the side of the bed and looked at Emma.

“Do you remember the plan?” he asked.

“Yes,” said Emma. “You and I will go upstairs to the tower, where Dumbledore will Apparate to with Harry shortly.”