Chapter 12: Remember When...

“She's a Mudblood. Why should I be nice to her?”

“Don’t say that word, Draco,” reprimanded Emma.

“Why not?”

“Because it’s not nice.”

“Why should I care?”

“We’ve had this conversation before, Draco,” Emma sighed. “I’ve already told you; if you can't learn to be nice, I won’t date you.”

“Look, Emma. I like you. I really do. But I'm not a nice person. If you want some goody-two-shoes, go find one. But that’s not who I am.”

“You can change your ways, Draco. I have confidence in you.”

“Whatever,” Draco said, standing up and picking up his school bag. “I’ve got Quidditch practice. Are you coming to our game tomorrow?”

“We’ll see.”

Draco walked away, leaving Emma sitting alone in the Great Hall at Hogwarts. She looked down at her plate and then up and across the room to where Harry, Ron and Hermione were sitting.

“Hi,” she said, sitting down with them.

“Hi,” Harry replied.

“How have the meetings been going?” she asked quietly. “Of Dumbledore’s Army, I mean.”

“They’ve been going well,” Harry replied.

“Will you be holding more meetings after the Christmas holidays?” she asked.

“Probably. Will you be coming to any of them?” he asked.

Emma smiled sadly and shook her head.

“My father’s keeping me for extra lessons. I won’t have time.”

“You know it’s really weird, you always hanging around with Snape so much.”

“He’s my dad, Harry. It’s not weird.”

“What do the two of you do when you’re all locked up in his office after school?” Harry asked.

“Firstly, I'm not ‘all locked up’. I can come and go as I please. Second, he’s told me not to speak about my extra lessons.”

There was a short silence in which Emma watched Ron and Hermione exchange glances.

“I heard you and Malfoy are dating,” Harry said.

“Maybe we are. Why do you care?” Emma asked, suddenly defensive. She realized how snobby her tone was and lowered her voice. “He’s not as bad as you think he is.”

“Last time I checked, he’s a no-good, evil, cruel—”

“Stop, Harry. I don’t want to hear your opinions.”

“They’re not opinions.”

“Well they’re certainly not facts!”

“You’ve never been one to date the likes of him,” Harry said. “Why can't you find someone nice to date? You had it right with Cedric.”

“Don’t—”Emma said, her voice suddenly constricted with emotion, “bring Cedric into this conversation.”

“Why? Because you know that Cedric would never approve of you being with Malfoy?”