[39] Run, Trinity!

Începe de la început

I shrugged my shoulders and continued to race out to the back gardens. I wanted to grab a fresh bouquet of ‘welcome back’ flowers for our two brave knights. Running around, I grabbed a few flowers from every garden until I was at the back by the red roses.

Dropping down to my knees I tried to pick a couple without hurting myself on the thorns. And that’s when I finally felt it.

There was a sort of shift to the air that made it feel thick and tense, kind of like how Victoria had been acting all afternoon. I have never felt this way before and I didn’t know what it meant. I instantly froze in my actions and let my eyes scan the wooded area in front of me. I couldn’t see anything but I felt something. I couldn’t explain how or why but I did.

The hairs on my arms and the back of my neck stood on end and my skin tingled everywhere. I felt cold in the hot, late summer heat. Everything in me told me to run but I couldn’t force the muscles in my body to listen.

Flowers still in hand, I slowly rose to my feet. Looking to my left and then my right, I could see nothing, but I still didn’t feel safe. This was the first time in my life where I had not felt safe while on the palace grounds.

I tried to keep myself calm as I turned towards the palace and started walking back. Once I came around the fountain I felt a bit safer and I relaxed slightly. I could just see Victoria coming around the far side of the palace. A big gust of wind blew from behind me in her direction, as I was just about to raise my arm and wave to her. That’s when I saw her stop. Her eyes went wide and she turned towards me in a second. But she wasn’t looking at me; she was looking behind me.

There was a low growl that came from behind me. If it hadn’t been so sunny and wasn’t so scared, I might have mistaken the sound for thunder. Turning my head slowly to look behind me, my eyes widened until I’m sure my eyes almost could have tumbled to the ground and my mouth was hanging open in fear. I couldn’t catch my breath.

Standing behind me where I had just been was a Lycan. Turned fully towards it now, it took all of one second to take in its unsightly figure that I have read so much about.

Even on all fours, its head was level with mine. Its long snout was baring its big, yellow canines at me. The large body looked spindly and gross, as it was lacking a true and full, furry coat and its skin was a dark red and bones could be seen poking through the skin. Its paws were as large as my face, its claws as long as my fingers.

Flowers instantly forgotten, they fell out of my hand and scattered on the ground. I couldn’t believe it. Keegan and Eric are home. Doesn’t that mean they won the battle?

The hairs on the Lycans back bristled as it growled loudly once again after it sniffed the air. It smelt what I was and it didn’t like it. Eyes narrowed as it crouched its body down slightly, I knew what was about to happen but I couldn’t move my legs.

“Trinity! RUN!!” I heard Victoria scream from behind me.

With a final growl, the Lycan sprang from its position and charged at me and I screamed. It was short lived though as suddenly something within me snapped and I was racing towards the palace as fast as my legs could carry me.