The lingering touch

The cold December air blew mercilessly. Yet the bitter cold breeze felt rather soothing than alarming as I reached back and released my long black hair from a bun and let it free. A few wisps of hair danced in the air before I tucked it behind my ear, an act which normally would have irritated me. But now I did it absentmindedly as my thoughts were elsewhere, which is why I barely felt my phone vibrate excitedly into my coat pocket.

Opening my black gloves I suddenly became aware of just how cold the night is as I read that I had an unread message.

'Lyric? Where are you?'
                                -Edward
I closed my eyes momentarily and pictured how I left Edward a couple of hours ago. His hands were snaked around the tiny waist of a petite girl who had her body crushed to his without any space in between. Their faces were close, very close, too close.

They danced amongst others in that party but the way they swayed in sync it seemed as if it was just them two.

I opened eyes at the feel of my phone vibrating again against my hand and I opened up the message to find another one from Edward who sounded more concerned

'R u ok Lyric? Tell me where u r'

I pondered on the thought of telling him where I was and I knew that he would come looking immediately. Because we were best friends. And friends did that sort of thing like looking out for the other or lending a helping hand or even offering a shoulder to cry on.

Edward has been there for me through all those stages in my life when I most needed someone to understand me and tell me I'm doing great. Or when I'm doing bad...like really horribly bad. But not in a judgmental sort of way, whatever he said was for me event bough I refused to see it sometimes.

Friends, however, does not storm out of a party when they see their best friend getting cosy with a girl clear intentions. That would be a typical reaction of a ... Girlfriend?

''Am I jealous...?''

Me jealous over Edward sounded as hilarious out loud as it did in my head but I couldn't get over the surge of anger and rush of annoyance I felt at the sight of them two together, specially at that girl who obviously wanted more from him.

I remembered how her eyes were full of lust and the way she smiled, provocatively and flirtatiously.  She had more on show than hidden and she knew the attention she was receiving from all the male partygoers.

Thinking about it's not all her fault, most of it is Edwards, with all his flirtatiousness and his 'killer charms' as he likes to call it, he can pull any girl within the radius of 2 miles. He's not so much as what you call a modest person but the girls seem to dig that, throwing themselves all over him in a really ... Promiscuous manner.

And I guess I haven't been left out too. Took a while, I know, but recently the strange force of possessiveness had been dominant and it stings and burns to watch him flirt with other girl, quite blatantly.

Even a few years ago these feelings were there but they were I wasn't aware of what it meant. I would get irritated at his easy jokes and flirtatious manner with any girls dripping with sex appeal.

But now I felt that he was mine, just mine. No one else's. He could only look at me the the way he does and touch me the way he likes.

My phone vibrated again with another of Edwards desperate plea.

' plz Lyric talk to me. Tell me where u r, I'll pick u up'

Followed by another text.

'Dammit just talk to me!'

Was this just a friendly concern or maybe more? I couldn't help but notice the hint of hope I had at the thought of Edward looking at me as more than a friend. At the thought of analysing a text like a typical girl, I cringed internally.

'West of  Blanche lake'

I typed quickly, anxious of Edwards concern and took a seat on the cold wooden bench facing the lake and waited for Edward to arrive.

Sitting down I realized just how beautiful the lake looked at night as the waiter rippled gracefully dancing from side to side calming me down and making me come to the decision of tell Edward about my feelings. It took a lot to not let myself talk out of it.

Or maybe I didn't have enough time to as within a few minutes came Edward, who silently sat beside me on the bench and looked at the lake infront of us. For a moment, we sat there motionless, but it was broken by Edward who wrapped his hand over my shoulder and pulled me close so that the teasing distance between us closed. 

For the first time that night I turned to look at him and found his eyes searching mine and his lips rather close to mine...