Chapter 1: Like Mother Like Daughter

• Dedicated to My mom

Rachel is at NYADA, in a class room about to work on some songs for her Funny Girl audition. "These are not hard. But I just want to go over them," Rachel says to the piano player.

When a familiar face enters in the room. "I always seem to find you at a piano, rehearsing," It was Shelby, Rachel's mom.

"Shelby. Oh, my God, what are you doing here?" Rachel couldn't believe that her mom was standing in front of her.

"I'm trying to track you down. I wanted to find you before your Funny Girl audition."

She was looking for me, Rachel thought to herself. "You found out about that?" Rachel said thinking to herself how did she find out.

"We're Facebook friends, Rachel. You started posting as Barbara. I noticed."

Oh crap, she had totally forgot about that. "Look I'm sorry, okay. I just felt... little weird. You know, I know that you have the same affection with Funny Girl as I do, and I just." How could I have done this, Rachel kept thinking to herself feeling so bad.

"You didn't want to remind me that I never got to play the role, and now it's too late. I love my life I do. It's not the life that I imagined I'd be living, but I have Beth, and I have this new Broadway Day care business, and we're in the same city now, so I get to see you a lot more. I have no regrets. In fact as much as it was my dream to maybe study at a school like NYADA, and, um perform songs like that on a Broadway stage..."

Rachel interpreted her mom, "...Shelby"

Shelby continued,"...my bigger better dream now it is to see my incredibly, beautiful daughter perform these songs."

"You really mean that, Shelby," Rachel stated.

"Of course, I do. Even though I haven't been there for you always, but you are my daughter and I'm here now," Shelby said proud, then asked ", so what were you playing on singing for your audition?"

Rachel replied by saying," I was planning to sing one of Barbara' s songs, I've been learning her whole repertoire."

"Oh no, no. Rachel, you can't do Barbara."

Rachel couldn't believe what she was hearing from her mom, "Wait, why not?"

"The producers are not going to be looking for a carbon copy of Barbara; they are looking for an original. Someone that brings something different."

Rachel sighed, "What am I going to sing now." She looked at her mom for some help.

"I will help you with that ok. This may not be a 100% right..." Shelby pulled some music out of her bag,"...but maybe it will inspire you. And any excuse to sing next to you." Shelbysmiled and started to sing.

Shelby: You won't find him drinking under tables Rolling dice or staying out til 3 You won't ever find him being unfaithful You will find him, you'll find him next to me

Rachel: You won't find him trying to chase the devil For money, fame, for power, out of grief You won't ever find him where the rest go You will find him, you'll find him next to me

Rachel: Next to me ooooh

Shelby: Next to me ooooh

Rachel and Shelby: Next to me ooooh You will find him, you'll find him next to me

Rachel: When the money's spent And all my friends have vanished And I can't seem to find no help or love for free

Shelby: I know there's no need for me to panic 'Cause I'll find him, I'll find him next to me

Rachel: Oh, the skies are grey And all the doors are closing

Shelby: And the rising pressure makes it hard to breathe (Rachel: Hard to breathe)

Rachel and Shelby: When all I need is a hand to stop the tears from falling I will find him, I'll find him next to me

Rachel (Shelby): Next to me (Next to me)

Rachel and Shelby: Ooooh

Rachel (Shelby): Next to me (Next to me)

Rachel and Shelby: Ooooh

Rachel (Shelby): Next to me (Next to me)

Rachel and Shelby: Ooooh I will find him, I'll find him next to me

Rachel: When the end has come and buildings falling down fast

Shelby: When we spoil the land and dried up all the sea

Rachel: When everyone has lost their heads around us

Rachel and Shelby: You will find him, you'll find him next to me

Rachel: Next to me

Shelby: Next to me

Rachel: Ooh!

Shelby: Oooh! Next to me

Rachel and Shelby: Ooooh

Next to me, yeah Oh woah! You will find him, you'll find him

Rachel: Next to me

Shelby: Next to me, yeah

Rachel: Next to me

Rachel and Shelby: Next to me yeah yeah

Shelby: Next to me

Rachel: Next to me ohh yeah

Shelby: Oh yeah Next to me

Rachel: Next to me

Rachel and Shelby: Yeah You will find him, you'll find him next to me

Shelby: Yeah

"Oh, my God that was so great!," Rachel said when they finished the song.

Shelby and Rachel hugged one another.

"Rachel, you are just so talented. I'm so proud to call you my daughter. Ok I think you are prepared for your audition, so tell me about your life as a NYADA student in the big city."

Rachel was happy to see her mom interested in what she was up to.

"Life has been great so far, there have been some bumps but nothing I couldn't handle..." she started to think about Brody, her ex-boyfriend and his man whoreing ways. Then continued to tell her mom about her life,"...I live in an apartment building with Kurt and Santana. Kurt also goes to NYADA, so I get to see him in some classes. Otherwise, everything is good," Rachel said proudly of where she is.

"Ok, That's great what about your love life. How are you and Finn doing?"

Shelby doesn't know, Rachel thought to herself. "Shelby, Finn and I broke up about a couple months ago."

"Oh, my God. I'm so sorry to hear about this, I thought you guys were meant to be together. With all of the love you guys shared," Shelby said disappointingly.

"It's ok. He and I still talk. He is in college now at Lima University, and he is happy." At least that is what she thought, but really didn't know.

"Ok. If you're happy, I'm happy. Oh, my God...," Shelby said while looking down at her watch,"...I have to get Beth from day care. I have to go, but I love you, Rachel. I know you are going to do great." Shelby quickly ran out the room.

Rachel now felt completely ready for her audition, expect for what song she was going to sing. Now she had to go find one.

"Next to Me", Sung by Rachel and Shelby, originally by Emeli Sande