First Day

Chapter 1

Sihana

My eye lids wanted to stay shut as soon as the alarm went off at 6:50 am. Why!!! I wanted to scream.

"Sihana mama, get up!" My mom yelled from her bedroom

"Sihana mama, get up!" My mom yelled from her bedroom. My mom was getting ready to go to work, she takes me to school on her way there.

"Okay." I groaned. My face planted in my pillow as I rolled over.

"Sihana you are not up. Get up now, I can't be late for work and you can't be late for your first day of school! Àndele!" She hit my butt and I kicked the covers of and went into the bathroom. I did my daily routine and was out and ready by 7:30 am.

My mom tossed me a apple and a bottle of water on our way out the door. "Here is money for lunch for the week." My mom handed me a twenty dollar bill.

"Gracias mama." I told her. I appreciated my mom she worked hard to keep us both comfortable. There were times she didn't eat and I did but she always kept that smile on her face. She was the strongest woman I ever known besides my abuela.

My mom is Panamanian and my father is Haitian. My father passed away when I was four from cardiac arrest. I barely remember him but many people say I look exactly like him.

Even though I didn't get to know him personally, my mom made sure she talked about him.

"Your papa would be proud of your Sihana, you're getting good grades and you're going off to college next year. So proud." My mom always said how much my father would be proud of me and my accomplishments. But I never felt proud of myself. My life was pretty ordinary. I did everything that was expected of me. Which is great to my mother, that's the only reason I act the way I do know. But it really wasn't me truthfully. I wanted to hang out with my friends sometimes and go to parties. I never had anything exciting happen to me. Like for instance, I've never been to a dance. Okay that was a lie. I have never been asked to a school dance. Prom is coming up this year and it's a pretty big deal. I'm nervous that I'll be the only girl without a date as always.

But that's another story for another time.

"Okay I'll see you later sweetie love you." My mom kissed my cheek and I hopped out the car.

My school was about 30 minutes and away by car. So if my mom car broke down I would have to definitely take the bus and if you know about the public transit it's always crowded during rush hours.

I walked into the school it was 8:03 am. My first class was about to start in twelve minutes. I quickly went to my locker and uploaded my book bag and grabbed what I needed for math class.

"Hey chica!" I heard a familiar voice say. I turned around and it was my two best friends Daniela and Paris.

"Hey what have you guys been up to?" I asked as I closed my locker.