One of Us

It meant new teachers.

It meant more classmates.

It meant more work.

It meant more tuning out.

The first day of high school meant doomsday for Hikaru and Kaoru.

They both knew the day was coming. And they both dreaded it, too.

It was in a mere three days- which meant only seventy two hours more of freedom. They weren't prepared in any way for school- they had planned on winging it. In that case, they ended up not doing any of their summer homework, or getting materials for classes.

Today the twins were going to buy new school uniforms, so they headed to the most expensive and popular store there was: Kawaii. Kawaii made all of Ouran's school uniforms, and they were required to get one unless they couldn't afford it. Which they could.

They both got out of the limo in unison, making people stare. They were used to that.

Kaoru entered the building first, buzzing in and letting the desk counter know who they were. In order to be let in to Kawaii, you need to either make a reservation or be a member of a rich family. Which they were.

Hikaru led his brother to the elevator, pausing to look at the big fish tank near the door. Kaoru did the same.

The twins did everything together. They have since birth. They shut everyone out except themselves, which could sound mean, but wasn't really. It was just who they were.

When they were up on the second floor, where the uniforms were sold, they walked over to a woman wearing the Kawaii employee uniform.

"Where's the uniform for Ouran Academy?" Hikaru asked her. She motioned to a purple uniform hanging from a rack on the left side.

How ugly, They thought, who created that?

"Thank you," Kaoru said numbly as they walked towards it.

Hikaru pulled one down from the rack, eyeing the size. He held it up to Kaoru to compare.

"It's too big," a female voice said from behind them.

The twins jumped, Hikaru dropping the outfit.

They both turned, hands on hips, glaring at the person who spoke.

Kaoru picked up the uniform and slung it over his shoulder, eyeing a small girl with the biggest brown eyes he'd ever seen. She had short, neat brown hair that didn't grow past her ears, and was wearing a pretty yellow dress that stopped a little above her knees. She was holding the female uniform- a particulary monsterous dress that was a different kind of yellow altogether.

"Who are you?" Hikaru asked.

"And what are you doing talking to us?" Kaoru continued.

The girl shrugged, flipping her bangs out of her eyes.

"I'm Fujioka. Haruhi Fujioka. And all I was saying is that the uniform is too big for you guys." Haruhi said, not looking the slightest bit creeped out by them.

Hikaru and Kaoru looked at her, trying to remember if they'd seen her anywhere else before. They couldn't put a finger on it, so they dropped it and moved on quickly.

"Well we're fine, so move along," They said, brushing her off and turning back to the clothes.

Haruhi rolled her eyes and hoisted her uniform up on her shoulder.

"What are your names?" She asked, ignoring their previous gesture.

The twins stiffened, getting annoyed. She could tell, because quickly after she added, "That's all I want to know, then I'll leave."

They sighed, then turned back around.

"Hitachiin," they said.

"Hikaru," Hikaru said,

"And Kaoru," Kaoru joined,

"Hitachiin." They finished cooly, "Now leave us alone,"

Haruhi nodded, repeating the name to herself. She straightened up, and looked at the two again.

"Fine, bye then. Oh! And try two sizes down, it should fit then," She waved, then waltzed away, her dress swaying.

"What a creep," Kaoru muttered under his breath, looking after her.

Hikaru nodded slowly. "Yeah, way to make a first impression, right?"

Kaoru laughed. Hikaru pulled the uniform two sizes down out of the rack.

"Okay, now let's see if Miss Predictable was right."

He held it up to Kaoru and his eyes opened a little wider.

It was a perfect fit.

***

Haruhi Fukioka walked out of Kawaii a little happier than she went in. She had finally met some people going to her new school! Sure, they could be the bitterest, most self centered jerks she'd ever met, but they were still people. And she wanted to get to know them better- not because she was 'into' them or anything- that would be weird- but because they were the first people her age she'd met in a long time.

She put her uniform in her bag and started off for work. She had gotten a part time job at a place called 'Cafe'- and she thought it was really nice there. It always smelled like fresh coffee and baked goods, plus, she got to make extra pocket money for buying school supplies.

Haruhi opened the door to Cafe and pulled on her work apron over her dress, which she had seen Kaoru looking at before. He must like yellow.

She earned a bunch of tips for being a good waitress. She always stored them in a jar in her house... Well, her 'living space', let's say.

When work was over, Haruhi was free to leave. She cradled her bag in her arms and hummed a song to herself as she walked to her 'living space'. When she got there, she opened the door to a tiny, one roomed shack. She entered it to see her small bed and pathetic table. She left her bag on the table and crawled into her sleep clothes.

Haruhi pulled out her uniform and layed it near her other neat pile of clothes.

She'd gotten into Ouran by scholorship, and was barley able to live off her parents money he'd left her. Both of her parents were killed in a car accident, leaving her alone.

When she eventually fell asleep, she found herself dreaming of what a real school would be like.

And she wondered if those twins would help her fit in.

***

Thank you for reading this story! It's my first twin-only story, so bear with me. ^_^ I'm really excited about it, so please leave comments for ideas or errors I might have made. It's going to get better, but this was kind of like the boring intro chapter... Anyway, vote and comment!

-Animegirl152