II. Suspicions

Deep inside every person, lies a beast.

The chairman explained the rules of the game right after they entered a vacant room where the deal they made with Netero would commence. He made clear that in order for them to have their license instantly they just need to simply snatch the ball off his hand. He also made it favorable for them by giving them the assurance that the chairman will not attack them. By the looks of it, she assumed that the chairman was pretty confident despite the odds. He evidently was taunting them and she didn’t like that a bit. Even though she was aware the chairman of the Hunter Exam is someone not to be taken lightly, it was also obvious the old man regarded so little of them and it was effectively hitting few of her nerves.

It would be a pleasure to take on the challenge full head but she had to remind herself that she has her priorities. My mission. Despite her desire to show the old man whom he was underestimating, she had to bear in mind the outcome of Gon’s performance. If he managed to win the game and finish the Exam then it is a must that she does too. But if Gon failed then she should set aside the idea of showing off in front of the chairman and purposely lose the game too.

The game began and Killua volunteered to go first. He took calculating steps towards Netero like a wild animal circling his prey. Not long before he created a perfect illusion of himself mimicking his movements.

Luna and Gon were in awe watching Killua’s trick. She couldn’t expect less from a boy trained to become the top assassin. Giving her more reasons that she should not let her guard down when she’s with him.

Without warning, Killua made his first move and lunged towards Netero, targeting the ball but despite his sneak attack the chairman anticipated his move and swiftly dodged it. Killua kept on charging at the ball with his top speed not giving the chairman a moment to back away yet to no avail.

Frustrated and definitely annoyed by the smug grin on the chairman’s face, Killua started to lose his cool. The chairman was mocking him and it was effectively getting on his nerves. Desperately he tried ceaselessly but then again, he was no way close to the chairman’s speed. He only did successfully wear himself out and before he knew it, he was already trying hard to catch his breathing.

Lune began to wonder while witnessing Killua’s frustration if the proud young assassin still finds the Hunter Exam too easy for him because by the looks of it, he finally found the challenge he’s looking for.

Oh Goddess, this might be a lot harder than we thought. She sighed, foreseeing the outcome.

Killua paused for a moment as if finally blowing a fuse before his cat eyes narrowed at the old man. But when everyone thought that he was still aiming for the ball at the last second, he crooked down and attacked the chairman’s leg instead aiming to break the old man’s balance.

There was a moment of comprehension for everyone in that room before they realized Killua’s motive. Though his effort was rather pointless and instead of breaking the chairman’s leg –who would have been thought to be as sturdy as a tree, Killua was now protesting in great pain for almost breaking his leg. By the looks of it, the boy must’ve not known to hold back as he jumps back and forth in agony while the chairman seemed totally unfazed.

“My turn!” Gon queued so Killua could now rest. Limping, Killua made his exit.

“A-are you okay?” Luna asked, looking worried.

Killua looked at her confusedly for a moment that made her wonder if she said something wrong. “It’s nothing.” He straightened up. “Damn that geezer is strong… and that kick felt like kicking a boulder.”