II: The Hunt Begins

Seeing him in the flesh.

AN: Rough editing. I didn't have the luxury to read it thoroughly because I'm rushing the revisions so apologies in advance.

|Flashback|

It was the middle of winter and at times like this Luna would prefer sitting next to a fireplace enjoying the wafted smell of the scented candles at the center table, while listening to her grandfather's travel stories and right next to her is a hot cup of tea.

That would have been nice. A small smile of contentment voluntarily made its way to her lips on the thought of it. However her mother already planned a rather vigorous activity for the rest of her winter and she's in no position to protest.

Luna heaved a sigh. It was pointless dreaming of better days like normal people. She's well aware to have accepted that fact by now, though she can't deny that a part of her was still hopeful.

A stream of warm liquid, rolling down from her head down to the curves of her jawline caught her attention. She doesn't bother to confirm the thought that it was her own blood, knowing that she's been losing an alarming portion of it couple of hours ago.

This is bad. Realizing the severity of her situation, she managed to pull herself out of her delusions and focused more on things that matter at the moment then continued chanting.

"He who wound my father will suffer..."

*panting*

"Whatever he wants, he will get..."

*panting*

"Failing him will bring dishonor..."

*panting*

"He who gets in his way will be punished!"

Luna feebly exclaimed, more like croaked, between the heavy breathing and relentless effort of dodging sharp arrows coming from all directions at blinding speed.

Playing for her life, Luna's currently at the mansion's training ground specially made difficult for her mother's liking. It has been almost five days since her training proceeded and she could now feel her body on the brink of collapsing. Exhausted and badly wounded, her senses became sloppy as she struggled to maneuver herself against the flying arrows. The lovely purple dress that she had was barely unrecognizable as it turned red -soaked from her own blood coming from the cuts that won't stop from bleeding and this would confirm her speculations that the arrows were also poisoned. This made her wonder if her mother was seriously trying to kill her today.

"Have you turned mute, Luna? I can't hear you!" Azusa sharply hollered; abruptly interrupting her daughter's concentration as she noticed the girl momentarily flinched. She's been watching her daughter the whole time more like a stranger watching some other kid over the sidelines; not even a hint of mercy could be seen on her rather bored face. And obvious from the tone of her voice, she was demanding more from her daughter.

Distracted by her my mother's raging voice, an arrow slipped through Luna's defenses and pierced right through her left shoulder. It delivered a stinging pain right to the flesh that seared across her entire arm. Yet Luna brushed off the numbing feeling that comes after the pain with a tight fist and continued pushing through. But what really bothered her, more than the pain was the disappointment written all over her mother's face as she failed to reach her expectations.

"T-The safety of the family is my priority...."

Luna started chanting again with gritted teeth and broke the tail of the arrow punctured on her shoulder in one snap.