IV: Luna Agnesi

We tend to do crazy things in drastic measures.

Luna couldn't keep her eyes from staring at a plain golden card with nothing on it except a hunter logo embossed on one of its edge, with a constant grin on her face. It would seem to be an ordinary piece of paper yet it holds a deeper value to her –the first accomplishment she got on her own. There was still an ounce of doubt lingering on her thoughts, refusing to believe that she managed to win over the first hurdle of her mission for real, but the very ticket made it possible; that she was lucky enough to advance in the next step. The very thought of it lit a fire on her chest, burning with fervent desire for the fulfillment of her goal.

Without any slightest care where she heading, she trailed the path towards the busy streets while following the same direction the crowd flows, ever since she set foot in the city where the Hunter Exam will be held –or at least that's what she been told. Too distracted by the bargains galore offered by the city, she soon found herself separated from the nine other examinees that departed the ship. Luna was quite sure that they've been travelling the same street over an hour ago until they decided to go on their separate ways undetected and before she knew it, she was left alone. She could only guess that no one would have wanted a girl tailing behind their back only to slow them down all the way to the exam. Come to think of it, being separated maybe the best thing that could happen right now, at least, in some way, she's far from any potential threat, but the worst thing was she's lost in an unfamiliar ground without the slightest clue what to do.

Good thing she remembered the envelope that Zeke gave yesterday. Hopeful, she reached down to the pockets of her dress and found the crumpled paper. Zeke had not disappointed her; inside was a map showing the exact location of where she wanted to be. Luna delicately unfolded the entirety of the map only to find another piece of paper hidden between the pleats. Curious, she took the paper out to get a better view.

For what she thought was a mere paper turned out to be picture of someone vital for her mission. A boy with spiky black hair unlike any other –not that she met a lot of boys, but there was something with his carefree smile, glowing up to the depths of the hazel brown eyes he bear, that captivated her. Before it could occur to her, she was already smiling too.

But the smile only lasted a while. Her eyes grew wide upon realizing who he was –an enemy.

"Ging's son." she muttered despitefully.

The hatred that was supposedly locked away for her to have a clear mind, was already threatening to explode in her chest. It was irrational, though she couldn't blame herself after what she and her family had been through. Just a slightest provocation could be deadly.

What right does he have to smile like that?

Luna scowled. More than anger, she envied him; thinking that he was able to live his life to the fullest while she suffered. So before she could tear the whole picture apart, it would be best to hide it away from her plain sight for now. This way, she could restrain herself from doing things she will regret later. Luna knew that the longer she looked at his happy face the more she craved to end his life right away. But the boy was not her mission, it was his father; he will serve only as a mere bait to catch the big mean fish. She needed him alive and she intended to keep him alive until she could kill his father right before his eyes.

The boy will help her to fulfill her mission but in order to do that she must get close to him and the very thought of it made her wonder, just now, how –in the life of her, was it going to be possible. The idea of getting close to the boy had never occurred to her until now. Is it really possible to fool an enemy to be your friend? It sounded most absurd to her the more she think of it. But she knew it doesn't matter if it was impossible, she had to make it possible. Which leads her to the question –how?